Drake inspired me to make a "penny style" stove. Thanks. But of course, no stove is great unless it is a good match for your pot. So, I did some tweaking and came up with the Funky Penny. (Someone please tell me if this is new or not.)

Design: The base of the stove is the bottom of a Foster's can. The top of the stove is an inverted Coke can. I JB welded the two together. I was happy to find that the coke can fit well around the convex area on the bottom of the Foster's can. Total weight: .8 oz. (not too happy here mad ) My thinking was that a little bit of fuel around the outside of the coke can would help preheat the inner fuel, thus vaporizing and making it good for cold weather use. With the jets pointed more inward, I'd get a more precise burn for my Snow Peak 700 mug. I use a windscreen with a couple stakes through it, so that my pot sits 2.875 inches high. The stove is 1.375 tall.

Results: 1 oz. of fuel was used... .25 in the primer pan, .5 in the inner section of the coke can, and .25 in the top of the stove with the screw in place. I found the primer pan hard to get lit, but once lit it was fine. I put the pot on at the 30 second mark - because I wanted to be sure the primer pan was lit well. After 2:30 or so, the primer pan would burn out and the jets would be the only thing burning. At about 5:20, I got a strong rolling boil. (Sorry, I don't have a thermometer, so I just let it boil until it's without a doubt killed all the nasties.) Total burn time was about 6:40.

Conclusions: This stove is faster for me than my best version of the side burner Pepsi stove. I'm not sure that means much, since I could not get a boil on .75 oz, and had to use a full 1 oz of fuel. It is easy to make and burns well. I think that to better this stove for my pot, I'm going to try a V8 can top with a Coke can base. That should center the flame under the pot better as well as reducing weight. Other than that, I'll need to play with the height of the pot off the flame, then I should have a system that works best for me.

Tell me what you think. Any ideas?