Well, recently decided I needed to start snowshoeing so I can do a little more than just ski during the winter. I'm not really looking for advice or anything on winter camping. I had my winter survival training while stationed in Alaska so the cold and how to get by in it is nothing new to me. But, my father has also started expressing an interest in snowshoeing as well, so I figured all the more reason to get some reliable and experienced information about snowshoeing instead of me out there experimenting.

I live in SW Idaho by the way, just to give an idea of the winter conditions I'd be playing in. I'm also not really looking to do any winter camping at first either, that'll come later. I'm just looking to get out there and do some day stuff and enjoy the scenery and cold.

I guess my biggest question would be what kind of snowshoe I need to be thinking about? Obviously at first I'll probably just stick to trails, but I'd like the option to get through powder without much problems either. I know length important when it comes to powder and the deep stuff, but I'd like something that has some diversity. I've seen MSR seling snowshoes with floaters, but I'm not sure how those'll hold up and if they're worth the money. I'd kind of like to get this as right as possible the first time around.

Boots would be my next inquiry. I have 1 thousand grain thinsulate hunting boots and more then enough extreme winter clothing to deal with the weather. But would those boots work or would I need something a little more specialized? Or is it one of those things that should be decided by what works for me and my snowshoes?

I've got all the necessary gear beyond all of that thanks to my years in Alaska and its lovely winters that get down to -65 F, lol. And since I know someone will suggest looking into the archives, I'm already intending on doing that, but any new advice I figure is best. Thanks. smile

Edited by MattnID (01/02/09 08:44 PM)