Jason,TheCook is right.

Choosing XC skis is a total gear kerfuffle. I am no expert, but here goes.

First of all, decide what kind of skiing you want to do-track skiing or backcountry. Track skis are the all plastic skinny skis you see at REI with the "system bindings" that look like a long plate with a toe piece on them. The bindings take a particular kind of boot, usually lightweight. These skis are almost impossible to turn since they do not have metal edges.

BC Skis look more like a downhill ski-but usually skinnier.
Here is a good site with explanations that may help. It is oriented towards backcountry gear.
Dave's Nordic Pages

If you were snowshoeing, my guess is you were off track, so maybe you want a BC ski. If so, there are a lot of choices. My skis are Atomic Rainier skis with Voile 3 pin cable bindings on a release kit. This means I have a fairly skinny metal edge backcountry ski with a fishscale, no wax pattern on the bottom. My bindings are traditional 3 pin bindings that will take anything from a lightweight leather boot to a plastic double ski boot. Since most bc bindings do not release like a downhill binding, I mounted mine on a release kit that Voile makes. The purpose of the cable is for downhilling. You do not need it for touring. You don't really need a releaseable binding either for touring. I am paranoid about knee injuries, so I have them. From what I read, they are of dubious value any way.

My boot is the Garmont Excursion, a low two buckle plastic boot suitable for backcountry skiing and moderate telemarking on downhills. For much BC skiing, you don't need a plastic boot.

I have aspirations of learning to telemark, so that's why I have what I have. Real telemarkers use fatter skis and bigger boots. For touring, stay away from those. No need. I tow my sled for winter camping with these skis and have climbing skins for them that give them extra grip, an essential for towing the sled on an icy road.

Edited by TomD (12/28/08 11:02 PM)