Jason, you are getting into a seriously dangerous gear head area here. I am by no means a competetive skier and yet have spent over the years almost as much on ski equipment as backpacking gear blush You want no-wax skis which means the skis should have that fish scale like pattern on the bottom in the middle part of the ski. Although you may be able to pick up three pin bindings cheap (the kind where the toe of your boot extends into the binding and is clamped down on three pins), I'd look for Salomon or NNN bindings as they are much better, particularly in wet snow. The old rule was that the tips your skis should come up to your wrist with your arm extended above your head. A better way to judge if the ski is correct for you is to stand on both skis with your feet flat. A helper should now be able to move a thin piece of paper gently back and forth between the ski and the floor directly under your foot and a little bit ahead of your toe. When you put all your weight on the toes of one foot, that same paper should be wedged tight under the kei and not be able to move. Going someplace like REI or a good ski store for x-country skis and being fitted will give you a better idea of what you are looking for. Renting skis at a state park or other facility that supports cross-country skiing is also a good idea. Then, after you find your cheap skis, take them into a store and have them hot waxed. Basically, they scrap off the old wax on the smooth part of the ski and iron in new glide wax to help the ski slide better in the snow. Should cost around $15 and makes a huge difference. Enjoy and may you be bitten firmly by the ski bug grin