1. NO tarps or bivys or hammocks for sleeping. For reasons regarding bears, Philmont REQUIRES a TENT for sleeping. They will, however, require a tarp to be set up for use as a rain fly to protect your packs, which are NOT allowed in the tents.

Can this be an item that gets shared? Probably say 3-4 kids per tent? This way they can share the cost? If this is the case then the tent options have greatly improved. Either way I know Alps Mountaineering gives discounts to scouts. So if they split the cost of one of those tents then that would be a great savings.

4. Fuel- the choices sold at Philmont are limited and do NOT include alcohol fuel. They DO include white gas and Powermax fuel. So if you want to use alcohol, you must figure out a way to ship it to Philmont. Also, the way they provide the food, you will most likely be using LARGE pots- 1 or 2 GALLONS as you will be feeding a crew of 7 to 12 scouts and advisors, maybe divided into 2 cook groups. Pot size may not be appropriate for alcohol stoves

If this is the case Im assuming each kid would not need to purchase and lug around a 2 gallon pot. So how does this work do we need to account for the cost but not the weight? On the stove can split the cost of this as well? I got a whisperlight on ebay for 40$ plus $12 for 33oz fuel bottle at a local store. Again can this cost be split between 7-12 scouts?

As for bags I don't know what the difference is between thermolite extra and thermolite extreme but this bag has the same fill weight as the Mountain hardware for a lot less but is only rated at 25*. On the down side its not a name brand like MH bag.
Calypso 25*

for another 5ft bag there is also the TNF Tigger at 2lbs 1oz
TNF Tigger