I concur. Not hugely impressed by holding power, but what do you expect for the weight. I too use my boot or rock to pound into hard ground. The hook is small, but on the other hand it seems to work for SUL cords. I also like titanium shepard hooks with orange paint for visibility. Slightly lighter, and can sneak them in between rocks, roots a little easier.

I also like titanium Vargo nail pegs for similar reasons and little stronger, though heavier. Have tried tubular aluminum nail pegs for weight reasons but no longer carry them. Have broken several in winter or frozen ground - usually pulling them out. the solid ones may bend but hard to break them.

None of these have the holding power of larger heavier V stakes of course, but....usually these are fine as a set of 8 with my tarp/shelter or LUNA SOLO tarptent.

I often carry a mix, of mostly lightest stakes, and 2 or more or even half of the total number slightly stronger or longer or better holding power depending on the trip/conditions.