Once again, I am asking for input from the wonderful folks on this forum! Parameters: 3-season backpacking in Pacific NW or summer backpacking in the Rockies. (Note that "summer" in the Rockies may mean violent thunderstorms, high winds, cloudbursts, hail, sleet, even a few inches of snow.) I backpack with an 80-lb. dog (part of my sleep system!). Since I need a bug-free space for the dog as well as for me, the weight difference between tarp, groundsheet plus large bug net, or a generic tarp tent, is basically nonexistent.

For years I used a SD Clip Flashlight and became progressively more unhappy with it. With its outward slanting screen door, I had to close the vestibule up tight even in a light drizzle. As a result, there was so much condensation on the inside of the fly that it dripped through the inner tent fabric, leaving puddles on the floor and my sleeping bag. I also found it extremely claustrophobic. Of course this was a "lightweight" tent, so I put up with it for years. It has left me with a loathing for double-wall tents.

Then I discovered all this wonderful lightweight gear. After much research, I bought a Tarptent Squall 2. I really enjoyed the airiness, the 360* views when lying down, and the spaciousness. With me plus one grandchild plus Hysson (the dog), there is still plenty of room to spare. Even in very wet weather, I've had no condensation problems inside, nor have I had a problem with wind. I still have this tent, plus its "big brother," the Rainshadow 2 (for backpacking with grandkids).

Having been caught up in the obsession with lighter weight, I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for trips with just the dog and me. For the first few trips, it was fine, since we were in it only to sleep. The dog curled up next to me in the triangular space meant for gear and we were quite cozy. However, last August, on a 5-day trip in Colorado, it rained the first 4 days. About 5 pm, along came the first in a continual series of thunderstorms, lasting until 9-10 pm. As a result, Hysson and I were cooped up in the tent for several hours before bedtime. While the LS held up great to the wind, torrential rain and hail, it was far too cramped for the two of us under those conditions. With two of us in a tent designed for one, we completely overwhelmed the ventilation system and had big condensation problems. It was especially bad when Hysson woke up and went into his full-body tail-wag routine before I could wipe the walls down! Since then, it's been back to the Squall 2.

I'm looking for a lighter 2-person tent than the Squall 2. I have just finished going through Backpacking Light's State of the Market Report on single-wall tents. [Unfortunately, a subscription is required to read this article, but if you go to the forums (free), and page down to "Editors Roundtable," you'll find enough comments on the article to get the gist of what they're talking about, including a ratings chart.] I don't 100% trust the ratings in this article, mostly because I have some issues with the ratings for the tents with which I'm familiar.

I appear to have the following choices (if you have other ideas, please tell me!):

Six Moon Designs Refuge --I'm concerned about no bathtub floor and the lower rating on condensation--per the above article, the netting around the bottom tends to lie on the ground. If this is true, then I probably don't want it. I plan to make an appointment to go see this tent in person, since SMD is only about 45-60 minutes' drive from my house. Cost: $260, but 20% off through 12/31. (This is the silnylon version--cuben is way beyond my budget!)

Gosssamer Gear Squall Classic (when they start making them again). I'm concerned about the noisy spinnaker fabric. Some of the folks on BPL opine that spinnaker is not as strong as silnylon so would be more apt to rip in high wind conditions (i.e., Wind Rivers above timberline). If it weren't for that, I'd get this tent, because otherwise it's just what I want. The upcoming 2009 version will have a zippered vestibule, which I far prefer to the velcro on the Squall 2. Cost: $295 is what's currently listed, but I don't know if that's going to be the actual price for the new model.

AntiGravity Gear O2 --I'm concerned about its lower rating for ventilation in the above article and (from the pictures) what appears to be low wind resistance. Cost: $279; free shipping through 12/31.

Friends, if you have anything to tell me about these three tents, about any other 2-person tents that would be lighter than the Squall 2, or about spinnaker fabric, please have at it! Thank you!

Finally, there's the zero cost option: Use the Squall 2 and resign myself to the extra 8-10 oz., in exchange for lots more room and far less condensation. With Henry Shires coming out with great new tents every week (unfortunately not 2-person versions so far), maybe I should wait to see what he will do next!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/25/08 05:31 AM)