I made a quilt for myself (okay it was mostly my wife doing the work) for warmer weather use. I used the 2.5 oz climashield XP from thru-hiker. That is what they call a 40 degree quilt. I've been warm at 50 using this quilt but cold in the 30s so I guess that's about right. At any rate it took 2 yards of insulation and 4 yards of ripstop for the shell. Including shipping that was less than $50.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0Dzw4vvf54BHhaf2HYgpsg?authkey=ttn0FN_XZSs

I'd recommend making summer quilts like this and then another set of quilts for the colder temperatures. No need to carry heavy quilts in warm weather.

Climashield is probably the best thing to use for a quilt for two reasons. First it's very nearly the warmest per unit weight (Primaloft is SLIGHTLY warmer). Second (and perhaps more importantly) it is a continuous filament insulation. That means that it is relatively robust as is and it doesn't need to be stabilized by quilting to a scrim layer like Primaloft does.

Now some people will tell you that this means that a climashield quilt doesn't need to have any quilting loops. You'll notice I don't have any in my quilt. Neither the Bozeman Mountain Works quilts nor the Mountain Laurel Designs quilt seem to have them. But now I'm beginning to think that some quilting loops might help. As you stuff and unstuff the quilt you can end up tearing that internal insulation and creating a cold spot. Quilting loops won't totally prevent this but it keeps the insulation connected to the shell and since the shell is not that stretchy it keeps the insulation from trying to stretch (which it doesn't do well -- that's what leads to tearing the insulation).