A while back when considering replacing my lost polarizer, I asked opinions on getting a "warm" one (one that gave a warm tone to the image), and took the advice given that the digital image could easily be "warmed up" if needed when editing on the computer back home.

But as far as increasing saturation, I still feel that a regular polarizer can't be replaced by post-hike editing with photoshop.

I did a little experiment while hiking last week that shows that:

Image without polarizer.

Image with polarizer.

The polarizer knocks out the reflections, which is why it makes skies bluer and leaves greener -- more like we remember the shot. There's no way that just kicking up the saturation while editing later in photoshop can remove a reflection without some serious manipulation.

For ferns, for example, the waxy, shiny surface causes white highlights that are impossible to "green up" in editing, and the stream's reflection of trees and sky, removed with a polarizer, can't really be "removed" later without serious, time-consuming editing.

That 3-oz. filter, I believe, is still one of the most important photo accessories on a hike.

I bought my replacement polarizer on this trip at a one-off, non-chain camera store in Santa Rosa -- one of a vanishing breed.. The owner pulled a box of used filters from under the counter and I searched until a found a scratch-free, brand name one that fit both my lenses (58mm). Cost was a shocking $5. A brand-name new one that size was $65 at that store.

New polarizers, off-brand but almost as good, can be had on-line for $15 or less:

http://www.ciao.com/Quantaray_filter_polarizer_58_mm__10097894

Downside of a polarizer is that it cuts down the light entering the lens, and may require the photographer/hiker to use some form of stabilization when in a dimly lit forest. I used a nearby tree to keep the camera still (and an IS <image stabilization> lens), rather than lugging around a decent-weight tripod.

And finally, that filter -- any filter -- can save your lens in a fall. Years ago, I fell on a hike with camera in hand and the camera took a hard hit on a rock. The filter glass shattered and the outer lip of the polarizer ring was dented. Carefully removing it, I found the lens undamaged.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)