I been wondering about these devices,Since the other night my Fire Dept and about 4 other dept about 100 people,were alerted to a distress signal in a deep hollow. As we were setting up the command past and such we were told the coords moved to another location and so on for over 21 hours.

we finally figured out the distress signal was coming from a retail outfit ,which of course the earlier shift said all units was not set up and found out later one unit did go off.

I was wondering how the accuracy of these units are in a more remote area. It was funny that all the coords we was getting from a govt sources and setting them in the gps units were way off and the coords kepted moving.

I am no way knocking these devices,but I think there should be a quicker way of getting a faster fix and accurate fix on these units, If it was a true emergency,things might of not gone well. I also don't know if its the equipment we had to track the signal had problems,or the lack of training,or if the satilites were malfunctioning.

I was seriousily thinking about one of these devices,but after the other night,I am kinda of hesitant.