Through this site I've done the research and ended up with a perfect sleeping bag, and several other items that I'm very happy with.

When it comes to layering with down vests and jackets - - how do you know which one to get? Is there a rule of thumb concerning whether to get a jacket or vest, how much of a fill you need, etc? I assume the same rules apply as to sleeping bags, with the higher down fill the better. Part of me has assumed that WM is probably one of the better companies to choose from in regards to getting a down vest/jacket. I looked at the Mountain Hardwear brand and noticed a few complaints about length with at least certain models of them.

It seems like there are alot of things to consider and also a huge price difference in what is available. Whatever jacket or vest I get will be for wearing under my Browning HydroFleece Gore-Tex hunting jacket. I want to be warm while sitting still (still hunting) down into the low teens (at least). I've been using a synthetic fill insulated layer (made by Columbia) underneath my outer layer and have been warm most of the time (too warm while moving) - but sometimes it does get chilly and it is so bulky to carry. My light down sleeping bag has made a believer out of me as far as how well it insulates.

I think no matter what I'll have to keep using my Browning jacket as the outerlayer because it is so quiet.

Thank ya'll again for your help.

NitroSteel