We were car camping in October on Vancouver Island just out of Victoria, and after a steak dinner and pitching the bones and stuff in the fire went to bed. A few hours later I bolted up in the tent when I heard this:

animal sound

I sat there listening and it went on for two minutes, but I didn't wake up either my wife or brother who were both in the tent snoring away from a little too much BC Okanagan Valley white wine. It was vicious, and eventually trailed away into the woods.

No kidding, it sounded like this:

more animal noise

First I thought they were a couple of wolverines. But then I did a little research and it looks like the wolverines' territory doesn't include Vancouver Island. (Anyone know for sure?)

Then someone said they were just raccoons fighting over the steakbones my brother had pitched in the fire. Unless they burned those cute little paws digging them out, I can't pin such a hateful, terrorizing sound on those creatures.

Then I remembered the cartoon and sure enough, this is the sound closest to what I heard. Is it possible some ex-Aussie released his pet Tasmanian Devils on Vancouver Island and that's what I was hearing?

Just glad I didn't meet up with them in the daytime, especially if their paws were scorched.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)