Are these your first backpack trips? Sleeping in a bag takes some getting used to. As for aches and pains, I have discovered it is not necessarily my pad, but has more to do with the miles I hike. When I go with family (who like to take it easy) I have no aches and pains. When I push myself on solos I tend to have aches and pains. I find that after time (say on a 2-week trip) my body adjusts to whatever sleep system I use.

So, if you mostly do short trips (weekends), I would use a thicker pad because on short trips your food weight is low anyway, so the added pounds are not such a big deal. On long trips, I would take minimalistic gear and let your body adapt.

I found that earplugs are a big factor for me. I do not go anywhere without them anymore. Also, pre-emtpive Advil (or other pain medication) works wonders. I also found that I am somewhat allergic to down, so I take an anti-histimane before bed - the old fashioned ones that make you sleepy as an added advantage.

You have to feel safe and calm to sleep. I never sleep well if I have lingering thoughts regarding the safety of my camp. You may want to rationally evaluate the real dangers to assure yourself that all is OK. People have said they do not want to wear earplugs because they might not hear a bear. Well, what am I going to do anyway? Scream? Wrestle the bear? I put the earplugs in and if a bear comes around, so be it. (this is black bear country, not grizzly country that I backpack in). I know my food is properly stored and black bears generally do not eat people (in spite of the Far Side cartoon that shows two bears beind a tree looking at two guys in sleeping bags and saying "sandwiches" yum!) Just rationally assure yourself that you chose a good campsite (if you do not feel safe, find another campsite.)