> What's your priority

Mine has always been comfort.. Which is why I'm so happy right around the 18 to 20 lbs mark for a three day outing. With that I end up with a hammock and a big tarp that I sleep like a pithed frog under, comfortable clothes, food I like. a nip of scotch in the evening and
a book to read in my hammock after dark. There's little more I want or need, and I actuall
do not find myself looking at the 50-60 pounders with envy - usually it's more like pity -
particularly when the glass jars of peanut butter, and the full size kitchen wooden cutting boards come out.

As I've mentioned a few times - I know darn good and well I can go much lighter - particularly if I ditch the hammock and sleep on a thin pad on the ground with a smaller tarp, I *have* done it. it's just not comfy. *for me* the difference between "lightweight" (what I consider myself) and "ultralight" or other superlatives is comfort. I have for me to be what I consider a very nice balance between comfort on my back all day, and comfort in camp. But that "comfort" level will be very much up to the individual.

So, back to daisy's question, I hardly ever see other lightweighters on the trail, unless it's someone I've taken under my wing. I've seen a few. But frankly when I think most of the people I see on the trail in my area are twenty somethings who went into MEC with a visa card and said "Gear Me" it's not surprising. For all the availablility of mass market lightweight gear, it's not predominantly what is available, and it isn't "taught" to shoppers. Probably at least in part because they'd spend a lot less. Heck, i find even this group
tends to try to shy beginners away from it too much - beginners are scared they'll
end up cold, hungry, and uncomfortable an listen to the naysayers. (and don't start on me
about sending beginners out dangerously light. - search back and find my rant about
the crack-addled rhesus monkey being able to use my gear..)

And once winter gets here, my lightweight notions go mostly out the window. although I now have a homemade mini tent stove, bought a rollup pipe from tigoat, and have a golite hex 3 on the way that I am going to sew a stove boot into as my "solo hot tent". Again, lighter weight than traditional, but emphasis on the comfort.
Browse my pictures