For me, part of backpacking is knowing that I can be perfectly happy outdoors without the extras. Yes, I like real coffee; no I do not need it on a backpack. Yes I like wine; but do not need it on a backpack. I have found that if you go out for a long trip (say 30 days), you become very comfortable in the wilderness without the trappings of civilization. I think it is a mind-set. At first you miss the nice little things of civlization. Then you adapt to the wilderness and really do not miss these things. You begin to really LIVE in the wilderness.

I am not ultra light. For me the extra poundage that kicks me out of the ultra-light group is safety oriented- for me I need to know I can survive and be somewhat comfortable in odd one-week bad weather situations. The second thing that kicks me out of the ultra-light catagory is that I tend to use my current equipment until it wears out. When I replace a piece of equipment, I do go for the light weight gear, but it will take me some time to get everything light weight. But it is a goal of mine to lighten up a little bit each time I go out.

Don't get all envious of thoes with a coffee press. They are probably looking over at you with your small pack and envy you!