My original post specifically addressed the low water issue. I have no problem with the lodge. The Lake Edison lakebed simply has the geography that low water levels result in dramatic shrinking of the shoreline. Given that there is a good trail that you can walk out on, the ferry does not save a lot of time in very low water years. By the way, daily water levels of reservoirs are available on the California DWR website - google "California DWR CDEC". The other disadvantage of Vermillion Lodge, for PCT or JMT hikers, is that it's location is only a few days from Reds Meadow and Reds Meadows is long enough from Tioga Pass that just about everyone resupplies there. In spite of Vermillion Lodge's geographic disadvantages, they do seem to be very friendly and are trying their best to appeal to long distance hikers. The meals are quite reasonable and good.

As for the boat ferry, I have used both Vermilion and the ferry at Florence Lake, and I thought the Florence Lake ferry was superior. The boats were better and they kept to their schedules. But then PCT hikers do not usually go all the way out - rather resupply at Muir Ranch so the ferry service at Florence Lake may be a moot point.