I was interrupted about a million times while trying to write my previous post... I realize after re-reading that I forgot to write something important.

It is said that the average person needs about 2200 calories a day just to meet their typical daily functional needs. This is "average." A person tends to eat about 2100-2800 calories a day, depending on the fat content of what they eat. Obviously adding lots of snacks or eating high fat meals will increase that, but I suspect that most people here probably eat reasonably healthy for the most part, and aren't manging down 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day on fast food meals and junk food. So, those who eat reasonably but are still battling the bulge are most likely dealing with a slower metabolism and a "typical" intake of 2200 calories may be "overeating" as far as their bodies are concerned.
I watched my ex gain 50+ pounds over the course of a few months. His doctor at the time told him he must be eating 4,500-5,000 calories a day to gain that much. We did a rigorous food diary and he was taking in ~2,500 calories a day. Turned out his thyroid had gone wacko, and his metabolism was very slow. So don't feel bad if you eat a reasonable diet and still have weight that you don't need... not everyone has a "typical" metabolism, and biochemical issues may make it difficult to lose the weight, even if you're trying. Not to say you shouldn't try, but just to say that you don't have to be an over-eater to be overweight.

MNS