Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204542 - 06/26/20 08:57 AM Best Socks?
SJS Offline

Loc: Low Country of SC
Its time to replace my old socks, and I have been wearing Smartwool crew socks without liners for a long time. When I got them they were the best for me and I guess I could say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I thought I would ask you folks for your favorites. Heavy or light weight, but I am not doing long, deep cold, heavy load trips.

#204543 - 06/26/20 01:03 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: SJS]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Right now, Smartwool Hike socks, light hiker "flavor." I wear trail shoes (not trail runners) instead of boots.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (06/26/20 05:15 PM)
Edit Reason: additional info added

#204545 - 06/26/20 02:22 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: SJS]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Darn Tough brand have been the best for me. They hold up without getting little holes where my toes and heel might rub. Better longevity than Smartwool with equal comfort.

Cheers,

#204546 - 06/26/20 02:43 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: SJS]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I've been thinking about posting a question like this myself, as I'm curious what others are using, especially with trail runners.
I'm a tentative convert to trail runners, but not yet in the "true believer" category.

With lightweight boots (Keen Targhees), I've always liked the Thorlo Light Hikers, which are synthetic, and wear like iron, but I haven't seen them in stores lately. The Smartwool light hikers are good, too, but maybe a bit less durable and require more care in washing. I've tried the Darn Tough, both wool (1466) and synthetic (1931) and like them, although they seem a bit snugger than I'd like.

I've used all of these with trail runners (Altra Lone Peak 3.5), but lately have been experimenting with lighter synthetic socks, including some liner socks, and find that I like them just as well, although I've only used them for dayhiking in warm conditions.

For backpacking, assuming you carry, say, two spare pairs, you can save a little weight with the Darn Toughs, and a little more by just using the liners.

Given the differences between people's feet, trial and error is probably the only solution.

#204547 - 06/26/20 03:01 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: SJS]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I currently wear trail runners for all my hiking. The drawback is that trail dust filters through the mesh tops and my feet get filthy. But blisters are now a thing of the past!

On backpacks, I wear ankle-high merino wool socks in a lighter weight. They happen to be REI brand, but that seems unimportant, since they fit a fairly generic type made by most makers. A major consideration for me is how quickly they dry, because I wash my socks daily on longer backpacks and they need to dry easily. Merino wool dries well. The other consideration is just to provide a bit of cushion, which merino wool does well. They wick and breathe well, too.

In addition, I use cheap thin nylon 'dress' socks as liners. They seem to last forever. They dry very fast, too.

#204550 - 06/26/20 08:30 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: aimless]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I've been buying the Thorlos too. And in my neck of the woods, you can find them at REI or at Big 5--so that's not an issue.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#204552 - 06/27/20 06:50 AM Re: Best Socks? [Re: balzaccom]
SJS Offline

Loc: Low Country of SC
Thank you guys. Doesn't sound like sock technology has made any huge leaps in the 18 years since I bought mine. Then again, there is nothing wrong with my Smartwools. Think I will buy a few more pair of them.

#204553 - 06/27/20 08:46 AM Re: Best Socks? [Re: SJS]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use Smartwool medium hikers without a liner. I wear trail runners on all of my hiking and backpacking trips and also for schlepping around home. My feet do get pretty dirty but they stay comfortable. I don’t bother taking my shoes off when wading streams; the shoes and socks dry pretty quickly.

#204563 - 06/29/20 07:41 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: Pika]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
I use VO2FX merino wool compression stockings. All the time. Used to have issues with calf cramps but no more.

#204676 - 08/17/20 12:45 PM Re: Best Socks? [Re: SJS]
Monica Heel Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Darn Tough socks, but the hot sock for the AT thru hikers the past two years have been Farm to Feet. I have found them about the same and have stuck to my Darn Tough socks mostly.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum