Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200297 - 03/02/18 03:08 PM Compressing sleeping bag
JellyMan Offline

I am considering purchase of a new down sleeping bag to lighten my pack and facilitate use of a smaller pack as well. However, it is difficult to compare different sleeping bags without knowing how much they can be compressed within a compression sack. I believe most manufacturers list a "pack size" but this is the size of the stuff sack they provide and not a sack with compression straps.
How far can I compress a down sleeping bag? I am looking specifically at the Feathered Friends Swallow 20 degree regular bag. This bag comes with a 9L sack but if anyone knows how small this bag can be compressed I would greatly appreciate it.

#200299 - 03/02/18 05:04 PM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: JellyMan]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I’ve never really worried about how small I can compress a down bag. (A 25 degree bag with 800-fill power will, I think, compress to about the size of a softball or one-liter bottle?) However, if I use a compressor sack to get to that size, I’m left with a very stiff, unyielding item that can be difficult to pack around. As a result, I’m left with little empty spaces and an overall load that isn’t any more compact. (Those empty spaces undo all the space saving of compressing the bag - and compression probably doesn’t do the down fill any good.)

I tend to put my sleeping bag in the bottom of the bag, uncompressed. As I add gear, it compresses the bag more naturally, filling all the voids, and I can shift the shape as needed to accommodate long or bulky items. Until recently, I didn’t use a stuff sack (but was very careful about not setting my pack in puddles or mud.) Recently, I’ve begun using a 40 liter stuff sack that doubles as a pump sack for my sleeping mat. This works about the same as putting the bag in loose.

#200309 - 03/03/18 04:28 AM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: JellyMan]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
One alternative to using a compression sack is to stuff your jacket, assuming you carry a down or synthetic jacket, in with the sleeping bag. I have a WM Ultralite (very similar to the Swallow) and the regular stuff sack will accommodate a light down jacket without too much trouble, though it's tight. This works for me because I normally only use the down jacket in the mornings or evenings when I already have the bag unpacked.

I've read that a compression sack is capable of compressing the bag to the point of damage, which is obviously to be avoided with a $500 bag.

#200313 - 03/03/18 10:18 AM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: JellyMan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My WM Ultralite, size small, stuffs down to less than the size of a soccer ball. However, as Glenn points out, you really don't want to do that, because the result will be as hard as a soccer ball.

After some years of stuffing my sleeping bag into a dry bag, resulting in a small but hard, unyielding sausage, I went back to using a waterproof pack liner and packing as Glenn recommends. My pack liner is the "schnozzle" that came with my Exped UL7 Downmat. It's so much easier to pack!

You really don't want to add the extra weight of a compression sack, which will offset part of the weight savings of the sleeping bag. It's not necessary.

Also, when at home, be sure to fluff up the bag and store it loose--don't leave it compressed for long periods. I manually fluff mine and then give it a short session in the clothes dryer at low temp before storing it.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/04/18 09:36 AM)
Edit Reason: Correct autocorrect "correction" grr!

#200327 - 03/04/18 05:01 AM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: OregonMouse]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Storing it loose is good advice, as is drying it after use.

Down is remarkably resilient, though. I have a Moonstone bag that was stored stuffed for well over a year and within an hour of unstuffing was back to full loft (I have too many bags and not enough space.) This leads me to believe that it's probably OK to store a bag partially compressed, that is, in a bag maybe three or four times the size of the stuff sack. I keep one of those "Moisture Grabbers" (desiccant bags) in with them, too.

#200359 - 03/08/18 01:23 PM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: Bill Kennedy]
JellyMan Offline

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try stuffing my existing down bag into my pack without a stuff sack but I still want to figure out how much smaller volume I can get with a new ultralite bag in a compression sack. Does anyone have a photo and/or dimensions of their WM Ultralite or FF Swallow or Hummingbird in a tight compression sack?
The Western Mountaineering website FAQs recommends "a compression sack that has a compressed volume of half the included stuff sack" and also states "though there are no disadvantages to temporarily compressing your bag".

#200743 - 04/15/18 07:52 PM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: JellyMan]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
Originally Posted By JellyMan
I am considering purchase of a new down sleeping bag to lighten my pack and facilitate use of a smaller pack as well. However, it is difficult to compare different sleeping bags without knowing how much they can be compressed within a compression sack. I believe most manufacturers list a "pack size" but this is the size of the stuff sack they provide and not a sack with compression straps.
How far can I compress a down sleeping bag? I am looking specifically at the Feathered Friends Swallow 20 degree regular bag. This bag comes with a 9L sack but if anyone knows how small this bag can be compressed I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi Jellyman...I have just done this with my sleeping bag. I bought a 5L ultralight compression bag and put all my sleeping kit inside it, namely, my ultralight (700 grams) Vango Venom 200 two-season down mummy style sleeping bag, my Klymit Intertia X-Frame Recon ultralight inflatable sleeping mat, my Klymit Pillow X Recon inflatable pillow and a folded space blanket. Compressed down, the dimensions came to 25cm x 17cm (about 9 3/4" x 6 3/4") and the total weight is about 1.1 kg. (about 38.8 oz). The compression bag only cost me £5 ($7.10), on ebay, with free postage. I might put my thermal top, thermal leggings and a warm pair of socks in there too as I plan to wear them inside the bag...Hopefully this will not increase the dimensions too much when compressed. Update: I added the thermals and socks and when compressed down the length only increased to about 32cm, with the diameter staying the same. The total weight has gone up to just over 1.5kg (about 53 oz).

Edited by Alf (04/15/18 08:06 PM)

#200866 - 04/28/18 10:49 PM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: Alf]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Down bags will loose their loft if you compress them. I just use the stuff sack it came with. I use a 38 liter pack and can get all my gear and 5 to 7 days worth of in it. I have quilts, an EE rev 20 and hammockgear burrow 0 and dont have any issue carrying it in a small pack. Maybe you should look at the other stuff you are carrying. Maybe ditch some stuff and get smaller gear

#202910 - 04/18/19 05:32 PM Re: Compressing sleeping bag [Re: toddfw2003]
Sandres Offline

If you need to choose a really good sleeping bag then you need to look for articles with reviews of different sleeping bags from professional tourists. I usually find a lot of useful information, full characteristics and an honest opinion on the Internet on portals about hiking and camping. It really helps to choose the best option for me.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (04/18/19 07:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Remove commercial link

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum