Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97914 - 06/11/08 07:22 PM steripen
HumanBN Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well, I keep finding mixed reviews on the Steripen. I would like to have something like this in the woods. Anyone no how well these things actually work, I don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't do what it's suppose to.

#97915 - 06/11/08 07:39 PM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
lori Offline

Quote:
Well, I keep finding mixed reviews on the Steripen. I would like to have something like this in the woods. Anyone no how well these things actually work, I don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't do what it's suppose to.

All equipment fails sometime. Whether it has batteries or not.

If you want to know how it works for you, check with the REI rental counter or friends who backpack who might lend one to you, and see if you can borrow one for a hike. Take along some chemicals as a backup if you're going on a long dayhike or overnighter.

I've only seen one of them in action; I like how compact they are and the prefilter that screws on a widemouth container. I didn't like that it requires a widemouth container, because it would limit capacity and mean multiple "pennings" to refill my 2L bladder.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#97916 - 06/11/08 10:44 PM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
ronin Offline

Quote:

If you like the Steripen buy it from a source like REI who have a liberal return policy.

I own a Classic which I use when traveling. Hotel water, that sort of thing. For backcountry use I prefer Micropur MP1. MP1 works as well as my Steripen; or anything else for that matter. But MP1 tablets are, *for me* a much better option.

So, do water treatment methods like the Steripen work? Unfortunately, as has been discussed exhaustively .... we can't prove anything either way. I will say that if your Steripen is working properly, it should do exactly what the manufacturer says it will do. Assuming you follow instructions, etc.

HTH.

Peace,

Richard.

#97917 - 06/12/08 07:47 AM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Here's my totally unscientific, anecdotal comment:

I've had/used a classic for 2+ years. Never had a functional problem. Never got sick from the water I treated with it. Used it for 4 days and had plenty of battery juice left. I always take extreme care to store it in my pack and to avoid dropping it. I'm noticing a bit or corrosion on one of the electrodes, probably because I didn't dry it completely after use. It's not the lightest/simplest option but it has its niche.

#97918 - 06/12/08 08:32 AM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I like mine. Does it work? Well the thing lights up and I haven't got sick so I presume that it is indeed killing bugs. Is it worth the money? That's a matter of taste really.

Some people really like to filter water. I'm not one. I had a bad experience in the Sierras back in the 90s. The filter got harder and harder to pump and by the end of the week I was boiling instead. I also tend to shy away from chemicals because I don't like the taste. That's why I prefer the steripen.

I have heard of people who got theirs and it didn't work right out of the box. Make sure you can return it if that's the case. But I haven't heard of people who had one that worked initially and then stopped working in the field. That hasn't happened to me either so I think if it works the first time it will probably work as long as the batteries are good. But YMMV

Heber

#97919 - 06/12/08 08:48 AM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
Ben2World Offline

Loc: So Cal
Quote:
I would like to have something like this in the woods. Anyone no how well these things actually work,

UV is a proven method. The important question is what kind of water treatment are YOU looking for?

To me, the five general things are:

1. clarify water by removing sediments, particulates, etc.
2. improve water taste
3. treat viruses
4. treat bacteria
5. treat protozoa (giardia, crypto, etc.)

The steripen will perform #3-5. It comes with a prefilter that can filter out stuff big enough that you can see -- but won't turn brown river water or green algae water into clear water. It will also do nothing about #2.

Doing #3-5 is good enough for some people (particularly those who hike the western mountains). Question is whether that fits your needs?

#97920 - 06/12/08 10:34 AM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Just to be clear, UV light does not kill bugs per se. Instead it scrambles their DNA so they can't reproduce. So you're still drinking live bacteria but they won't be partying in your digestive tract.

#97921 - 06/12/08 03:24 PM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
Mumblez Offline

Loc: Detroit Metro Area
A lot of the times an item such as Steripen gets a negative review is simply because of "user" error.

One common mistake is when people use alkaline batteries instead of lithium or nimh batteries. Alkaline are not recommended and will quickly die after only a few uses. Lithium is the battery of choice for all Steripens.

It amazes me how many people simply don't read directions.

Also, I believe only the Steripen Classic comes with a prefilter that fits most wide-mouth bottles. The other models don't include a pre-filter.

#97922 - 06/13/08 02:56 AM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Never had a problem with mine. I carry Micropur tabs as a backup.

#97923 - 06/13/08 09:30 AM Re: steripen [Re: HumanBN]
HumanBN Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll try this thing out. I don't have to worry too much about green and brown water where I'm at. Maybe later in the summer when I get the chance to travel outside of my "home range" I'll need something else. Thanks again. Happy walking.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum