Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97261 - 06/03/08 06:59 AM Backpack/rucksack advice - yes I have used search.
Rhynome Offline

First off, hope the subject heading didn't come across as too smarmy, but I didn't want to be one of those posters that turns up and posts the same topic that's been done a million times before.

The basic problem is I need a backpack/rucksack/bergen/whatever and I have no idea where to start. I'll give you any past experience I have, then I'll tell you where I need it for, then I'll suggest what sort of a price-range I'm comfortable with and what sort of packs I generally like (just trivial non-important stuff for the packs I like).

Past Experience:
I was a cadet so I've done a bit of humping around with a pack on and a bit of sleeping rough, also. Due to this I know about the importance of equipment maintenance - the way I learnt it being, equipment first, feet second, nether regions third, the rest of you last and how to deal with minor walking injuries, blisters, a bit of sewing wounds, etc.
I also went to Namibia in October (brilliant place, but quite heavy on the wallet). For this I had a Regatta Survivor 65. Inexpensive so I went for it. I loaded it up with 15kg of kit + 5l [kg] of Water [so 15+5kg ~ 33+11lbs]. Luckily it was near the end of my trip when the problem happened and one of the shoulder-strap-adjusters snapped (it was also with the above weight of kit on my back that I learnt I really need to do more squats - thankfully a lot of the important journeying was by auto mobile, just some controlled walking with equipment - didn't want anything nasty like death happening, or worse still, malaria). The bag was also very packed - almost tearing - for all that was in it, and didn't seem to be all too happy with the situation.

Where I'm going:
Around and about, basically. The first destination is Israel, and the terrain is something like this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/346175636_f036587a1d.jpg?v=0
As you can see already, waterproofing is not much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.
I'd also like to have this pack for a while though, and use it for urban travelling as well as the hiking stuff, which is why I decided to go for a civilian backpack and not just buy a British Army surplus Bergen - as that would draw too much attention in cities and in Irish countryside (I have family near the Republic/Ulster border, I really don't want to have anything military looking up there, it's just not worth the risk).
So that's a general overview of the environment, mostly dry, but if I carry it in Northern Europe it's going to get very wet.

Trivia:
The Regatta was cheap, but wasn't great, too small at 65l [~2000fl oz if you do it that way], especially considering I might like to carry more in the future, and it packed up (more than just the shoulder strap, but that's one that stands out); it's for this reason that I'm willing to follow the philosophy of buying something expensive, but making it last, as opposed to buying a similar cheap product many times.
Due to the heat of where I plan to be going I don't want anything that covers my body too much, back-padding may just annoy me. Considering (as far as I'm aware) weight mostly rests on the hipbelt then the shoulders I don't really see the need for backpadding, but hey, I'm a newbie, so if anyone can correct me that'd be great.
I'd also like some mobility, the Regatta seemed to hold me very much in place, I was like a cinder block with knees - my hips were somewhat constrained by the hip-belt and that was a little annoying, though bearable.
As for price, I'm willing to go up to $400 - £200 - €250, but that is definitely the highest, lower would be much nicer [though do bags even get much more expensive than that?]

Sorry if the question seems long and over-loaded, but I wanted to lay out a bit of history and a few specifications, and well... any advice you could give at all would be nice, ranging from simple packs even up to the most complex.
Please help a newbie?

Edited by Rhynome (06/03/08 07:18 AM)

#97262 - 06/03/08 07:34 AM Re: Backpack/rucksack advice - yes I have used sea [Re: Rhynome]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Well, you've certainly given us the background - might be nice to fill in your profile a bit too.
Having said that, what you're looking for is a *large* pack to carry a heavy load - there are probably
too many options in that category to name, and as this is a lighteweight forum, many of us simply don't do huge backpacks with 20 kilo loads in them. True, I do in winter and I have a large MEC brio bag that's
tough as nails for that - however you likely won't have that option available for purchase in the UK.

My advice is the same as to every beginner pack shopping - put what you're taking in a bag or box - go to some reputable outdoor stores and try the load on in the pack - buy what is quality and comfortable to you - those last three words being a lot more important than anyone's opinion you find on the internet.
Browse my pictures

#97263 - 06/03/08 09:06 AM Re: Backpack/rucksack advice - yes I have used sea [Re: phat]
johndavid Offline

Loc: jersey city NJ
Good British site with some relevant suggestions;

http://www.psychovertical.com/?hybridexpedition

Of course separate suggestion: cut your load to something under your 44 pounds...May leave out ordnance?

#97264 - 06/03/08 11:18 PM Re: Backpack/rucksack advice - yes I have used sea [Re: johndavid]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Since you are in the UK, I would suggest checking out the various European manufacturers and UK based retailers like Cotswold and visiting websites like this one-
Outdoors Magic

For a list of manufacturers-
Exp Gear

Also, with the dollar pretty worthless at the moment, packs from manufacturers like Granite Gear or Gregory would be worth a look.

You can get a really nice pack for less than $400. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend more than about $250 if I was buying a new one.

Don't forget about eBay. Plenty of good gear there if you know what you are looking at, but lots of cheap, poorly made gear too, so be sure to do your homework before bidding on anything.

One thing to keep in mind-this is a lightweight backpacking site; some of the suggestions you may read may be recommendations for ultralight packs. BUT, as you probably already know, traveling with a pack is not the same as backpacking or hiking.

I would be very wary of traveling with a UL pack because I doubt most of them could take the abuse a pack gets while traveling. Get something sturdy, even if it means a bit of "extra" weight. It will be well worth it when traveling and you find yourself tossing it into the back of a truck or car, loading it into a bus or watching it disappear down an airline luggage conveyor belt. Anyone who thinks you can travel with one of these one (or maybe two) pound wonders, probably hasn't done it.

If you haven't had the experience, stand at a window sometime and watch luggage get loaded into the cargo hold on a jet-not a pretty sight.

Edited by TomD (06/03/08 11:31 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum