Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95469 - 05/01/08 08:27 AM Hiking the AT for 2 weeks...what stove to use?
coppertex Offline

Ok I'm a total beginner and setting off for two weeks on the AT this summer in North Carolina. I'm really confused about stoves. My main concern is what type of stove to select that isn't too heavy and has a fuel that will last 6 days on the trail. Also, how easy is it to find fuel in towns along the trail?

#95470 - 05/01/08 03:32 PM Re: Hiking the AT for 2 weeks...what stove to use? [Re: coppertex]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
What kind of meals do you plan to prepare? How many meals a day do you plan to cook? When we know this, we can start suggesting stoves. The amount and type of fuel you'll want, which will depend on how much cooking you do, is probably the first consideration. Once you figure that out, you choose a stove accordingly.

#95471 - 05/02/08 11:06 AM Re: Hiking the AT for 2 weeks...what stove to use? [Re: Glenn]
SBParks Offline

Loc: Upstate New York
Another consideration is how many days on the trail will you spend before restocking? Will you spend the entire two weeks on the trail or are you planning to 'stop into town' for supplies?

The answers to these questions will dictate how much fuel you need to carry.

If you carry a liquid fuel stove you can take your stove kit and as many fuel bottles with you as you think you'll need. The empty fuel bottles are very light, but do take up space in your pack.

I was on the trail for almost two weeks at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. My crew of 13 people carried two stoves and two fuel bottles. We probably could have done with a single stove, but we did need two boittles of fuel. I purchased a fuel fill-up half way through the trip.

Good luck with your choice. I know there are many types of stoves (and cooksets) to consider!

#95472 - 05/02/08 11:38 AM Re: Hiking the AT for 2 weeks...what stove to use? [Re: coppertex]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
No one has recommended a specific stove because your question is not very specific. It depends on your exact needs and priorities. Decide which of these is most important to you. Can't have all of them in one stove.

Weight. What is "too heavy"? For some one ounce is too heavy.

Capability. Do you want Cordon Bleu cooking or do you just want to boil water?

Capacity. Will this stove serve many or just you?

Cost. You can spend 40 cents to a couple hundred dollars.

Fuel availability. Any stove will last 6 days if you carry enough fuel.

Type of fuel. Alcohol? Liquid gas? Canister? Wood burning? Solid fuel? Each has its own advantages and limitations.

Reliability. An alcohol stove will never let you down. No jets to clog. But it has other limitations.

Environment for use. Cold weather? Windy? Some stoves are better than others in certain situations.

Confused? Sure. Everyone is at first. But once you nail down your exact needs the picture will become much more clear.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#95473 - 05/02/08 07:10 PM Re: Hiking the AT for 2 weeks...what stove to use? [Re: coppertex]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
My advice for an AT section is a simple cannister stove like the MSR Pocket Rocket or Snow Peak Gigapower. Cannisters are easy to resupply in places like Erwin or Hot Springs or Gatlinburg or at the Hike Inn or Fontana Village on the southwest side of the Park or Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC) or Franklin, NC. This pretty well covers the entire NC corridor.

I recommend a cannister stove despite the somewhat extra weight because of the flexibility it provides. You can buy lipton dinners or mac 'n' cheese at any grocery store en route, which require a decent bit of boil time, something esbit tabs or alcohol stoves are not so great with. If you send maildrops to yourself with simple add-boiling-water meals, you may find alcohol or (my personal lightweight favorite) esbit tabs work fine, are very lightweight and relatively cheap compared to buying a $30-40 stove plus cannisters.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum