Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93633 - 04/03/08 09:32 PM Quick Question
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I think this will be an easy question for some of you:

I have been wearing a Precip jacket for years and i love it. It's wearing thin though and needs to be replaced. Is there anything better/lighter out there now. Gotta have the pit zips - can't live without them and, of course, a hood. I use it as rain gear, as a wind breaker, and as a shell over my fleece and/or WM down vest.

Thanks

#93634 - 04/03/08 09:36 PM Re: Quick Question [Re: rionada]
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
Actually saw a couple Precip's on clearance at REI today. Was very close to picking one up were $69. Actually have a couple for that price on their site.

#93635 - 04/03/08 11:34 PM Re: Quick Question [Re: rionada]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
"Gotta have pit zips..."
Well, that rules out my parka, a Cabela's Rainy River GoreTex PacLite item. It is more breathable than the Precip laminate, I know this from experience. And it has mesh backed slant chest pocket vents, which work very well for me. The parkaa is $79. or $89. for a tall. Most parkas don't even come in a tall.

But in the past I've had pit sips sewn in various jackets including military field jackets and Browning GoreTex hunting jackets. Always worked. On the GTX jacket I had to use seam sealer on the stitching and never had a problem, even on the raniest duck hunting days.

So for $25. I can get pit zips sewn in by my tailor. I supply the 2-way zippers.

Eric

#93636 - 04/04/08 06:16 AM Re: Quick Question [Re: 300winmag]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Eric:

You've got a tailor to sew in your pit zips and for other outdoor projects? -- man, you are enjoying your retirement! (I've got to admit that I've found a great -- and cheap -- Cuban cobbler here in Miami that has done wonders repairing my hiking boots.)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#93637 - 04/04/08 07:27 AM Re: Quick Question [Re: rionada]
Ben2World Offline

Loc: So Cal
When you feel that you "gotta have pit zips" -- have you given a thought that perhaps it's because the Precips really aren't all that breathable after all?

I highly recommend that you look at jackets made with eVENT. It's 100% waterproof, but it's made without the extra layer of PU laminate or coating like your Precip -- meaning much higher breathability overall.

My own jacket is a MontBell Peak shell jacket -- which uses a similar technology (no PU layer). It's just a tad less breathable than eVENT, but even so, I rarely (if ever) felt the need to open up the pit zips -- even when hiking uphill. Nevertheless, I like the fact that my jacket has the pit zips, as they broaden the comfort range that much more. Just the fact that my jacket is so breathable that I rarely use the zips means a lot less fussing -- and that's a good thing.

#93638 - 04/04/08 11:33 AM Re: Quick Question [Re: Ben2World]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
eVent sounds good, but it's pretty pricey yet. Not sure if I want to drop $200+ on a jacket that I'll use only rarely.

#93639 - 04/04/08 06:05 PM Re: Quick Question [Re: Paddy_Crow]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Thanks,

My fleece is also made by marmot and has pit zips. I have found that, for me, I can more easily regulate my body temperature and control moisture with the zips. It also means that I don't have to stop and change layers all the time. I just fiddle with the pit zips and the front zips to adjust to the wind, cold, rain, .. that the high mountains bring on and change very quickly.

So far it looks like I'll be buying another Precip. Have they changed very much over the years. I have seen 2005 and 2006 models for as little as $50. Does it matter?

rionada

#93640 - 04/04/08 09:05 PM Re: Quick Question [Re: Paddy_Crow]
jasonlivy Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
eVent sounds good, but it's pretty pricey yet. Not sure if I want to drop $200+ on a jacket that I'll use only rarely.
I used to fill that way about my hardshells. They weren't worth the high dollar amounts I was spending. For instance, the ArcTeryx Sirrus SL I bought (which uses Gore Packlite) wasn't used nearly as much as it's cost demanded. My Marmot PreCip was avoided only in case of severe downpours in the backcountry and was later religated to changing the oil in my car (definitely not worth the cost).

Since I've been wearing my Pearl Izumi eVent jacket and currently the Westcomb Specter LT, my opinion has change. In fact, I reach for my Specter jacket more often than the softshell jackets I used to wear around town. It is lighter weight to wear which I like and, most importantly, breaths. I never sweat or feel clammy in it. I really feel that eVent will change most people's attitudes about hardshells. In fact, I'm wearing it now and forgot I had it on (just came in from outside)!

The only downside currently to eVent is the price and I don't see it dropping in the near future. It is much more difficult to work with than Gore or PU which is really the major expense for manufacturers. Imagining taping to teflon and making it durable. I was told by Westcomb that they can only tape the seams at about 8 ft per minute vs. Gore (or PU) which is taped at around 50 ft per minute (eVent is the only membrane that Westcomb has worked with in their factory). The reason is the glue has to be forced through the membrane, allowing the tape to adhere to the face material. It takes them a minimum of one year to train their employees to tape (currently they only have five who can do it reliably).

I've heard the MontBell jackets are nice and breath well. I think they are more affordable.

#93641 - 04/05/08 09:19 AM Re: Quick Question [Re: rionada]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I use Cabela's Ultrapack right now and am very pleased. No zip pits, but they breathe well enough that I use them as a windbreaker. They even saved weight by using a 2/3 length zipper and neoprene tabs instead of plastic cordlocks. They only problem is they only come in camo.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum