Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93417 - 03/29/08 11:25 AM Windshirt below\above down insulation layer
dirtt Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
I've heard a few people say they wear smaller windshirts and put them below their insulation layer. It seems to me a hardwind coming through your insulation layer would lower its effectivness. Is this not correct, or is it just as effective and more a preference thing?

#93418 - 03/29/08 11:40 AM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: dirtt]
jaiden Offline

For me it depends on what insulation layer I'm using and why I'm using it. I don't generally wear insulation when hiking, but I might have a merino hoodie with a wind shirt over it. If I stop and am cold, it's a lot easier to throw a jacket on over the windshirt than to take something off first. In camp, if I am cold, I might put the wind shirt over some insulation, especially if it's fleece. Fill type insulations are more likely to be compressed, so depending on the fit and the shell material of said insulation, I might wear them over the wind shirt anyway.

Basically what I'm saying is you're right, and you should do what works for you in any given situation. Others may disagree.

#93419 - 03/30/08 05:52 AM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: dirtt]
altadude Offline

Quote:
I've heard a few people say they wear smaller windshirts and put them below their insulation layer. It seems to me a hardwind coming through your insulation layer would lower its effectivness. Is this not correct, or is it just as effective and more a preference thing?

The answer is yes or both.......Depends on what is happening with me and what is happening precipitation-wise. Down does not insulate as well when it is wet though IMHO it only really loses its insulating value when soaked. So, if I am drenched with sweat I either change my under layer or wear a windshirt (GoLite Ether-esque shirt) under my down jacket. If it is wet precpitation and I cannot get under a tarp then I wear my windshirt over it........Goal is to keep it as dry as possible..........If I am fairly dry-not sweaty-and the air is dry then I might not even use the windshirt........let me and the jacket breathe.........On extended trips I want to let my down stuff-jacket/sleeping bag get a chance to air out as often as possible............My down jackets are fairly wind resistant and thus I rarely worry about bone chilling wind........If that was a problem I would put the windshirt over the down...........

Make sense?

#93420 - 03/30/08 09:28 PM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: dirtt]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wear my insulating layers beneath my wind layer (which does double duty as breathable raingear). I figure the idea is to create a dead space for the air to heat up... I think some people like to wear their layers on the outside to prevent them from getting moist with sweat, but I just wear less insulation underneath instead. I've even hiked around with nothing under my wind layer except undies. It feels weird for the first minute, but once you stop and get chilled you get to put on clothes that are pleasantly dry instead of sweaty.

#93421 - 03/31/08 05:20 AM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: dirtt]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
I wear insulation such as wool or fleece under my wind layer. My down layers, however, I wear on the outside. They are made with a fairly wind resistant fabric.

Now to add one more caveat- when I wear down in wet conditions, I wear it underneath my rain layer. I normally am not wearing the wind layer in these situations.

#93422 - 03/31/08 06:24 AM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: Wolfeye]
altadude Offline

Quote:
I wear my insulating layers beneath my wind layer (which does double duty as breathable raingear). I figure the idea is to create a dead space for the air to heat up... I think some people like to wear their layers on the outside to prevent them from getting moist with sweat, but I just wear less insulation underneath instead. I've even hiked around with nothing under my wind layer except undies. It feels weird for the first minute, but once you stop and get chilled you get to put on clothes that are pleasantly dry instead of sweaty.

I agree. I actually NEVER wear my insulation layers while doing exertional backcountry stuff. Only for "belays"/resting. I am amazed at how people can wear down while skiing (downhill, resort skiing is another matter) but in the backcountry while skinning I wear just a wool shirt or a softshell. When I stop is when I don the down...........I know Jimshaw reports wearing down for exertional activities but I sweat/overheat way too much.........
So my comments above were about using my down at rest stops not during activity.........

#93423 - 03/31/08 09:22 AM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: altadude]
JAK Offline

Well I do something rather unorthadox, maybe. I hike in the heaviest wool sweater I can wear that isn't too warm on the nice days when I wear it without a skin layer or wind layer. When it does get cooler or windier or if I slow down or stop, then I put on my skin layer under and/or my wind layer over. If it is winter and the temperature might really plunge then I might carry an extra fleece layer also, which goes over the sweater but under the wind layer. Sometime the fleece layer over the wool sweater instead of the wind layer over. Depends on what I am doing in terms of keeping rain or snow off or trying to dry the wool layer out some. 80-90% of the time while hiking its just the wool sweater with nothing under or over it. Hats and mitts and leg layers are other variables. In snow I might overdress my legs before I add layers to my body. When not in snow I tend to undress my legs, so maybe more layers up top if I'm not working too hard. I've been trying out wool pants recently, using them like the sweater, 90% of time with nothing over and nothing under but boxers.

#93424 - 04/07/08 04:31 PM Re: Windshirt below\above down insulation layer [Re: dirtt]
dirtt Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
got it, thank you all

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum