Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93304 - 03/26/08 09:34 PM Pack and Tent Help
Mosp Offline

Hey everyone. I just recently joined the forum. I am brand new to backpacking and have a couple questions I need some help with.

I am planning a couple of trips during the summer, after I am done with my classes. I was wondering if it is at all possible to find a proper 3 day pack, and a 2 person tent for around $200.

I have been doing a lot of research and browsing stores, both online and local and it seems that most packs online run $200+.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#93305 - 03/26/08 10:41 PM Re: Pack and Tent Help [Re: Mosp]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
It depends.
It depends on what kind of pack and tent you want and as far as the tent goes, for what kind of weather. It also depends on whether you mean $200 total or $200 each.

My suggestion is start looking at gear online at retailers such as our site sponsors. Click on the Portal (above or to the left), then start looking at what they offer. For example, REI's Outlet site has a lot of tents and packs around $100. Some it may be last year's models, but who cares? It won't be the lightest or latest, but unless you doing something like a long distance hike, having the lightest gear possible doesnt need to be your first priority.

Also look at manufacturers' websites so you can see what else is available. If you have a good retailer like REI near you, go there and look at packs and other gear.

If you don't see what you want new at a decent price, think about looking for used gear. Once you have an idea what you want, then start looking on eBay,Craigslist or on sites like this one that have buy/sell listings. If you shop carefully and are patient, you can get deals.

I have bought and sold a few things online including packs, a tent, ski bindings, stove, winter clothes and boots, and a few other things. If you haven't done it before, the trick is to know what you are looking at-brand, model, etc. and then don't get so excited about something that you pay too much for it. I buy things I know are quality products; I stay away from lesser known brands and am very suspicious of cheap gear. This isn't to say there aren't some bargains out there, but there is also a lot of poorly made camping gear.

Edited by TomD (03/26/08 10:55 PM)

#93306 - 03/27/08 04:33 AM Re: Pack and Tent Help [Re: TomD]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
A quick check of the REI Outlet site showed a Mountainsmith AT55 pack for $100, a Sierra Designs Sirius 2 tent for $100, and a Mountain Hardwear Meridian 1 tent for $115. I didn't check the specs, but the brands are pretty good and the prices reflect about 1/3 to 1/2 off the original retail.

I didn't look, but REI's house brand is usually good quality at a lower price - you might find something there. Also, Eureka and Kelty are two good, less expensive brands; they won't fit your criteria, probably, but they may come closer than others. They are a little on the heavy side, though.

Light, cheap, and well-made. You can have any two.

#93307 - 03/27/08 05:07 AM Re: Pack and Tent Help [Re: Mosp]
jaiden Offline

How about a tarp
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/8x8%20SilNyl%20Tarp.htm
$50
and
http://www.ula-equipment.com/circuit.htm
$175

ok so I'm $25 over, but this is great gear.

Depending on where you go and what pad you choose you may need a bivy bag or a ground sheet to go with the tarp.

#93308 - 03/27/08 08:08 AM Re: Pack and Tent Help [Re: Mosp]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I agree with jaiden about the tarp. Tents are pretty expensive and don't do much that a tarp won't do (there are cheap tents but they tend to be heavy). However it depends a bit on where you are going. If there are lots of trees then do the tarp because you'll be able to pitch it using trees. If trees are fewer or farther between then the tarp is a little problematic unless you have trekking poles (you didn't mention whether you were planning on using those). If you add the price of the trekking poles then the tarp/poles combination is right up there with a good tent again.

Packs can be expensive also but they needn't be if you can go lightweight on what you put in them. The expensive packs are built to carry heavy loads and have all kinds of features for distributing this weight in the best way. If you learn to go lightweight with your gear then
a good lightweight pack needn't cost much. Take a look at Gossamer Gear. Their packs are all less than $150 and and weigh very little. They are really nice IMHO. Get one of those and a basic 8x10 tarp from campmor with some tent stakes and guylines and some plastic dropcloth for a groundcover and you are set for about $200.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum