Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92956 - 03/21/08 04:49 PM Calling for RAIN!!
dhock83 Offline

Loc: Southeast Ohio
I have planned a three day trip for next weekend and it is calling for it to rain. Since the trail is in southwestern PA it will also be chill ( a high of 55), so we will be dressing for that and I have good rain gear for myself but the other two guys are lacking a bit. we are using one of thier tents. I guess what ! am wandering is what are some things to do to get ready for the rain, hiking and camping.

#92957 - 03/21/08 05:17 PM Re: Calling for RAIN!! [Re: dhock83]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Since you're indicating that "the other two guys are lacking a bit" in rain gear, and since you're using one of their tents (which may also be lacking a bit?), one suggestion that comes to mind is try to design a bailout point into your trip (including spotting a second car there, or being sure that you have a way back to your car from there.) It's good to have an option if gear may be "lacking a bit."

#92958 - 03/21/08 08:22 PM Re: Calling for RAIN!! [Re: Glenn]
dhock83 Offline

Loc: Southeast Ohio
We have many points along the trail to cut it short and head back to the car. We just want to be able to stay out and stay comfortable.

#92959 - 03/22/08 05:38 AM Re: Calling for RAIN!! [Re: dhock83]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Also, be sure to watch each other for signs of hypothermia. Though you may think it's just a cold-weather threat, it's also a cool-weather-plus-wet issue. I've seen hiking companions (and myself) start to show signs of this during a day in the rain. Even with good rain gear, a continuous rain is going to get you wet. In moderately cool temperatures (55 would do), or just a light, cool breeze, you'll chill quickly.

You need to read up on it. I've never had experience with more than the early signs (slightly slurred speech, slowed or clumsy walking, dulled thought processes, shivering while walking); we always watched each other, and someone said "We're done for today" when one of us starting acting as though the edge was no longer there. We'd get the victim's tent up first, get him into dry clothes and into his sleeping bag, and start some hot water for cocoa or bouillion. Fortunately, the victim was still with it enough to know he needed to cooperate, and the problem was always quickly resolved; an hour or so later, and all was well. I'm sure we occasionally stopped before hypothermia had begun, but we all preferred, by mutual agreement, that safe was better than sorry.

Be sure to take a set of dry clothes (medium or expedition weight longjohns and some socks would do) to wear in camp - keep them in a waterproof bag (Ziploc works well) when they're in your pack. Don't even think of wearing them on the trail; change back into your trail clothes, even if they're a little wet. (If they're a lot wet, it's time to think about using one of those bailout points.)

Also consider taking some extra food (a pack of ramen noodles, maybe some extra granola bars or candy) and beverages for that quick jolt of warmth. Also, if you usually eat a cold breakfast and lunch (like I do) consider cooking those meals, also. Of course, you'll also want to bring extra stove fuel. You might also want to bring a lightweight 8x10 tarp to pitch as a kitchen shelter in camp, or a shelter for your lunchtime stop.

Don't take this for a comprehensive lesson on hypothermia; it's not. My experience is limited to the very early onset - be sure you've read up on later stages, too. (My guess is that Midnight Sun might be an excellent source of information - you out there, MNS?)

#92960 - 03/23/08 11:02 PM Re: Calling for RAIN!! [Re: dhock83]
aceatc Offline

Loc: WA, auburn
Decent rain gear is pretty cheap is your friends don't even have that. Grab up some cheapo rain ponchos (nylon, PVC). Polyester is okay too, but I would keep a polyester jacket as a backup. Polyester will keep you dry for a certain amount of time, but it's real nice in that it dries pretty fast.

Unless you plan to spend all your time (other than hiking) inside your tents I would bring along a tarp of whatever size your comfortable carrying. I hammock camp so I always use a tarp :-) If your pack or friend's packs don't have a rain cover you can go the cheapo route and put grocery bags over your packs to keep them dry (mostly).

Just make sure your friends dress in layers of clothing and try to keep your inner warm layers from getting wet. Always bring an extra set of clothes.

All of my summer camping experiences were in the low 40's and they weren't so bad. I just hope you got a decent sleeping bag. As long as you stay fairly dry and give yourself enough time to dry up and warm up before bed you should be okay.

My very first backpacking trip I overpacked by 20lbs, I hiked into a storm on the mountain, and had on nothing but pure cotton. Oh, and my sleeping bag was crap. I survived being soaked, but I could have just made simple clothing changes and bought some cheap rain gear and I would have been fine.

So, tell your friends to get a rain jacket/pants or wear some polyester or maybe some wool. I were the same thing in the winter when it snows like crazy in the morning.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum