Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92653 - 03/14/08 07:18 PM Bear Proof
dhock83 Offline

Loc: Southeast Ohio
I am going on a 3 day hike at the end of the month and just found out that the area has the highest black bear pop. they have had in years. I dont have the money to buy a bear proof canister, but was looking for some tips on a bear bag and how to hang it. Please help I dont want to lose all my food to some hungry waking bear.

#92654 - 03/14/08 07:31 PM Re: Bear Proof [Re: dhock83]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Do a google search for PCT method.

#92655 - 03/15/08 05:19 AM Re: Bear Proof [Re: dhock83]
Paddy_Crow Offline

Loc: Michigan
This is probably one of the better links for describing the PCT method. I like to tie off the free end of the rope so if it's windy, the bag won't spin around and make a tangled mess of the rope.

Hanging Technique

#92656 - 03/15/08 05:03 PM Re: Bear Proof [Re: dhock83]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can sometimes rent bear canisters instead of buying them, which can be a nice way of trying out a model before buying one. Whether I'd go that route or use a bag in your situtation depends on the regulations in the area you plan to hike.

#92657 - 03/17/08 09:35 AM Re: Bear Proof [Re: Paddy_Crow]
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I just wanted to add a vote for the PCT method. I have been using it for a while and I love it. I used to use the old throw it over a limb and tie it off to a trunk method until a racoon chewed through the portion of cord tied around the trunk.

#92658 - 03/17/08 10:01 AM Re: Bear Proof [Re: dhock83]
tahomus Offline

Loc: Tahoma, CA
i often hang my food (no canister to carry)- but i urge you to consider a canister. i would not even think of hanging in grisly bear country! it's way to dangerous! nothing worse than loosing all your food (and gear) to a bear and having to hike out hungry- or have a physical encounter.

hanging food is also a learned skill- takes practice and patience. i can easily spend a half an hour wandering around looking for a suitable tree (in an area full of trees!), then another 15 minutes trying to huck that rock over the right branch at the right place.

check with the agencies for the area you are going to- some have bear canisters to use for FREE!

#92659 - 03/17/08 01:52 PM Re: Bear Proof [Re: tahomus]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:
i often hang my food (no canister to carry)- but i urge you to consider a canister. i would not even think of hanging in grisly bear country! it's way to dangerous! nothing worse than loosing all your food (and gear) to a bear and having to hike out hungry- or have a physical encounter.

Bah. on what do you base that? Sounds like Bullonium 238 to me... I hike in Grizzly country far more
often than not, and I hang. Either PCT method or on park provided poles. I've never had a problem - nor
does parks canada. Mostly it is simple common sense.

Most of the places that require Canisters are because of Habituated Black Bears, not grizzlies.

The only place I'd worry about a canister for Grizzlies is Tundra country where there is noplace to hang,
then you better believe I'll take a canister and be doing the whole triangle thing for cooking/storage/tenting.

Quote:

hanging food is also a learned skill- takes practice and patience. i can easily spend a half an hour wandering around looking for a suitable tree (in an area full of trees!), then another 15 minutes trying to huck that rock over the right branch at the right place.

This I agree with. Make your pct rig and go to a local park and practice a few times before going out.
Browse my pictures

#92660 - 03/18/08 09:51 AM Re: Bear Proof [Re: phat]
Berserker Offline

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
Yeah, I agree with phat here. Being that the original poster is in OH, I doubt the poster has to deal with black bears like the ones in parks in CA. Over here on the other coast the black bears just don't behave the same as the ones on the left coast (except for maybe in the Adirondacks from what I have read). So hanging is a perfectly good method to use. I also urge a little practice although it's not rocket science. You find a suitable tree, you throw your cord over a limb using a rock or rock bag or whatever, you attach your food bag, you pull it up, and then you spend 20 minutes trying to remember the clove hitch...oh wait...maybe that's just me that spends 20 minutes on the knot...I was never that good at knots.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum