Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89296 - 02/12/08 06:27 PM Re: water filter cross-over - "Scare tactic" [Re: OldScout]
Brumfield Offline

Loc: Expat from New Orleans, now in...
Quote:
I will try to find that article at home and post the link. I think the test was run by a university and tested in the Yosemite wilderness.

Sorry, I assumed you were making a blanket statement reflecting a scare tactic on a global scale. Brum

#89297 - 02/12/08 10:29 PM Re: water filter cross-over [Re: Xelif]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The area around the spring where my friend got giardia is a very popular camping area--I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was seepage into the groundwater!

From what I've read, giardia started with humans (a lot of people are immune but are carriers) and that's how it spread to the wildlife. At least some wild animals have been found to be carriers also, the mountain beaver of the northwest being one of those. You're right, though, it's not fair to blame it on the animals. But they are continuing the process that humans started.

The sites I checked for links to scientific studies were Katadyn and MSR. They may have something, but I sure didn't find it!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/12/08 10:30 PM)

#89298 - 02/13/08 08:39 AM Re: water filter cross-over - Weight versus safety [Re: Berserker]
Brumfield Offline

Loc: Expat from New Orleans, now in...
Berserker wrote:
Quote:
"After UV treatment, ceramic filtering, and chlorine dioxide treatment of the water, I then carry 32 ounces of my water in a clear plastic bottle on top of my pack so it's exposed to the sun's UV rays most of the day."

Brum, I see that you are doing some serious treatment to your water. I was just curious, are all these steps for just when you are hiking in Mexico, or would you use the same method in the US?

Brumfield wrote:
Hey, Norse Warrior! Before moving to Mexico I treated water while hiking in the southern states regularly. Louisiana is known for brackish swamp water and even the streams are not pure. Same thing in Florida, warm water tends to breed disease, just like leaving food out on a warm day, versus a cold day, does the same. Or as another example... would you prefer to store your open can of tuna cold or warm? YUK!

When hiking the colder climates in the states I sometimes drank out of the streams with no treatment, especially if near the origin or if I knew for sure there were no industry, towns, or resorts upstream.

I must admit, as a child I regularly drank out of the Louisiana creeks we were swimming in. I don't recall any major illnesses from doing that. Now, as I sit here writing this, I'm recalling that I also played barefooted in cow lots on the farm back then. When I was around five years old I got caught using half of a huge watermelon rind to scoot down the incline of a small, shallow cow barn drainage ditch . I thought my mom was gonna kill me with the hot water and chlorine bleach she used to scrub the leeches off of me. Maybe due to constant exposure I was immune to most everything coming out of the ground or water. Today, I tend to stay away from cow barn drainage ditches and homemade watermelon rind boats that don't float.

So that you'll know I'm not totally anal about filtering and treating drinking water, I'll share this with you... My mom lives about 70 miles north of New Orleans right next to the unspoiled Bogue Chitto River and the wild and beautiful Honey Island Swamp. She uses water from a well located on her property with zero filtration or treatment. The water comes up cold enough to mist a drinking glass.

I helped put the well down with a leased drilling rig. We drilled to a depth of 450 feet, and the last 100 feet were in pure white Sparta Sand. We stopped drilling while still in the Sparta Sand, which is also known as the middle Claiborne aquifer, then cap-sealed the well, and set the pump. The well has since produced quality potable water for the last 25 years, without fail year round. About a year after putting the well down I had the water tested at LSU, and found it to be of a better quality than many treated city water supplies. My children drank the water while infants and had no ill effects.

Due to the infamous Mexican Amoebas, I ALWAYS chlorinate and filter the water here when away from my home water supply. UV treatment is an extra step I take since the sunshine is free. If I need water at night that I've just chlorinated and filtered, I'll drink it without UV treatment. Brum

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum