Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86397 - 01/07/08 08:00 PM Any Origami or Hex -3 info
mtnman Offline

Loc: WA
Anyone here use either the SD origami or the Golite hex-3 owners?

You like?

#86398 - 01/07/08 08:07 PM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: mtnman]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hex 3 user/owner here. No nest, just the tarp. Just had mine out two weeks ago. Given what's its designed for and its inherent limitations, I like it. It's well made, easy to pitch on a level site, and roomy for its weight. Condensation is manageable. If you don't use trekking poles you'll have to carry a pole of course. My main gripe is that I can't pitch it lower, like all the way to the ground. In cold/windy weather I don't like that gap at the bottom.

It's probably going to be my snow shelter this weekend too.

What do you specifically want to know?

#86399 - 01/07/08 08:59 PM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: Trailrunner]
mtnman Offline

Just need a roomy shelter for me and my pack. And in a few years my son. I'd like to add a wood stove someday for heat. Titianum goat stove weights 1.3pds!!! Do you have any pics? Condensation? How bomb proof is it. Would be using it mostly in the north cascades of wa state. Do you use a ground sheet?

Thanks

#86400 - 01/07/08 09:28 PM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: mtnman]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
It's a palace for just my son and me. For one it would be a relative parking lot. It might be a bit crowded with 2 bodies plus a wood stove and I'm not sure the stove would work. Never had it in any really killer weather (I use a real tent for that) but it is construced of a very thick silnylon and the seams are well finished. Condensation has never been a real problem for me and there's plenty of room to stay away from the sides anyway. I use a thin silnylon ground sheet.

Maybe I should mention that at 5'10" I'm not huge and a taller person may have a different perspective on this shelter.

This would not be my first choice in prolonged rain. Since there is no vestibule, every time you open the door you're exposing a fair amount of inside real estate to the sky.

I'm going to post a trip report with pics in a few days.

#86401 - 01/08/08 01:12 AM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: Trailrunner]
mtnman Offline

can't wait to see the report!

#86402 - 01/08/08 04:04 PM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: mtnman]
hootyhoo Offline

Loc: Cyberspace
Oragami 2 ul user. The fabric is much sturdier than silnylon. Listed weights are accurate. Tarp alone 28 ounces. It comes with 7 tent stakes and about 75' of thick guy line and 10 or so line tighteners. It also comes with a stuff sack for the tarp and a stuff sack for the guy lines and stakes.
The two main reasons I went with this tarp are:
1.Bang for the buck. No one else offers near this much for 139.00
2.Extremely versatile design. There are a lot of ways to pitch this tarp. In tipi mode with about 46" center height you get 360* tarp to ground coverage---- and a lot of condensation. With about 58" (thats the upper extent of my hiking pole) you get about 5-6 inches of ground clearance and if you leave the top of the zipper open you can get a condensation free pitch. The way it is designed is different from most other tipi style tarps so that you are not confined to one type of setup.
It is super simple to pitch and has many tie loops and tie offs. It is typical Sierra Designs quality with their lifetime warranty. Seams are taped. I have had mine in some heavy rain and it is dry.
I am very happy with mine. I just wonder why I do not hear more about this little gem from others on the forums.

#86403 - 01/08/08 05:12 PM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: hootyhoo]
mtnman Offline

My only concern now is how big an area you need to pitch it? Is it a pain in the rear to find spots? I'm close real close. But?

#86404 - 01/08/08 05:56 PM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: mtnman]
6brnorma Offline

Loc: Arizona
My son and I use the Hex and like it very much...we are both 6' 2" and have plenty of room. Have never used it in heavy snow and my understanding is there are better options for deep snow. We do not use a center pole, rather tie off to a sturdy over head branch or line. With no center pole it's very roomy...you can both sit up with room to spare. Jimshaw or TomD or someone said they don't do well in really bad conditions but we've not had any problems (never had it in DEEP snow though).

#165062 - 04/18/12 01:39 AM Re: Any Origami or Hex -3 info [Re: 6brnorma]
sandia Offline

Fallen leaves, best if damp, kicked strategically, make very effectively seal for the edges. Needle-duff could also work.

Obviously in a very high wind, or above treeline, this would not work.

Best is snow, which creates a bomb-proof seal against all weather.

In a pinch, rocks and logs work well, but may cause undue wear.

With minor resourcefulness by user, the Hex-3 is quite weather-proof and useful in any ordinarily foul 4-season conditions. Caveat: the seams need sealing, contrary to manufacturer's claim of a few years ago.

Am unfamiliar with Sierra Designs model. The Black Diamond "BetaMid" probably provides greater square feet per pound than the GoLight Hex. The BD model may have greater issues with lack of headroom per square foot. In theory it has less wind resistance, though in practice, is trivial.

I strongly believe the Hex-3 is too small for the smallest available wood stove, unless perhaps it were for use by a single person plus the stove. It would need extensive modification for stove pipe.

Edited by sandia (04/18/12 01:53 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum