Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83920 - 12/22/07 07:44 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: BOWSINGER]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Two years ago I bit the bullet and bought a WM Versalite Super. Now I can't imagine sleeping in anything else. It's not just the weight savings that you are buying, but the thoughtful quality construction. (this is not a plug for WM - there are lots of great, well made bags - I just happened to buy from WM). My previous bag was a very nice Northface down. It kept me warm enough and was comfortable, but nothing like the Versalite. I am a toss and turn sleeper and the Versalite floats over me so I can turn inside the bag - which keeps the top on top where most of the down is. And, of course, there is the weight savings because, lets face it, your sleeping bag spends most of it's time in your pack. In my case I dropped a pound and a half out of my pack when I switched. It was pricey (I think I got it on sale for $340), but I'll have it for years, and I now look forward to climbing into it every time I go out.

Rionada

#83921 - 12/27/07 01:09 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: BOWSINGER]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
He still only guarantees 3.15” loft. It’s lucky you got 4”.

Your difference is still based on $125 V Bag which we can’t buy anymore; we have to pay $165 even though we don’t want the pillow. This is as of 12/26/07 unless Bruce changes it.

Still, look at your numbers:
“… 20-degree bags @ 6’6” long x 32” wide x 5” loft:
Campmor 20------20oz. of 550 down-----38oz tot.wt---------$120”

“…30-degree bags @ 6’6” long x 30” wide x 4” loft:
LuxuryLite V Bag-------?? oz. of ??? down----30oz tot. wt-----$125” (BTW, that $125 should be $165)

Now let’s knock some down out of the campmor bag to get it down to 4” loft. This would probably be 8oz, or 30oz total weight.
Since it’s ~$8/oz for 800 down I would suspect it to be 1/3 that for 550. Anyway, the new campmor 30F bag should be ~$20 less or $100. I don’t see how the V-Bag will catch on since it’s expensive and has been tried before.

You used weight comparisons
“Two 30-degree bags @ 6’6” long x 30” wide x 4” loft:
LuxuryLite V Bag-------?? oz. of ??? down----30oz tot. wt-----$125 (BTW, that $125 should be $165)
WM SummerLite--------10oz. of 850 down------21oz tot. wt.----$260
Difference------------------??--------??-----------------9oz-----------------$135”

I think it is worth the extra $95 (not $135 BTW) in materials and workmanship for the much warmer and lighter bag. Also the WM takes up less space in the backpack. Bruce does point out for cold nights (30F?) that you would need a coat in the V bag. You don’t have to with the WM SummerLite. I see two reasons here:
1. The top zipper of the V Bag. It promotes down shifting to the sides (instead of staying on top). That’s why top zippers haven’t been popular (though tried several times).
2. The web site even says there’s less down in the torso.

Another note. You also stated “I understand the difference in total weight due to the heavier fabric in the Campmor bag, but I don’t see how 20oz. of 550 can equal 19oz. of 850 down? And the equal 20-degree rating when the AlpinLite has a down collar and the Campmor does not.”

You’re right. They’re not equal. Two things going on here: Campmor is using a heavier bag material (though rugged) that squishes the loft of the down (thus limiting warmth); and Campmor is VERY liberal on its temperature rating; campmor actually needs more 550 down to equal the 850 down.

Back to the original poster, I do not think this V-bag is a true 35F bag. You need to wear a coat for those temps.

The V-Bag looks fine for a quilt. But aren’t there cheaper and lighter quilts out there (for same temperature)?

-Barry

#83922 - 12/27/07 10:28 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: BarryP]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Bruce does point out for cold nights (30F?) that you would need a coat in the V bag. You don’t have to with the WM SummerLite.

I bought a Summerlite earlier this year, and although the lowest temperature at which I've used it is about 40F, I could tell that if it dropped much lower, I'd be putting on (at least) long johns. The Summerlite is a fine bag for it's intended use, but it has some limitations.
It's a little underfilled...the down is very easily shifted to top or bottom with a gentle shake. This is a legitimate way to make a bag, of course, but the tradeoff, as always, is warmth for weight. I think my bag is typical, BTW, as it weighs just what the manufacturer states. Fill weight for the regular length Summerlite is 9 ounces...10 for the long length. It's rated at 32F, but I think that's optimistic unless you're a fairly warm sleeper, which I am not.

#83923 - 12/28/07 07:24 AM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: billk]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“…Summerlite…the down is very easily shifted to top or bottom with a gentle shake…”

Very good points. For 3 season bags, that’s why I love the box stitched bags. The down stays in place. I don’t feel cold spots at the seams. I love my WM POD30 and Caribou.

-Barry

#83924 - 01/01/08 11:18 AM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: BarryP]
BOWSINGER Offline

This has been a very informative thread with a lot of input from users of a lot of different sleeping bags. Over 15 and counting the last time I read through the whole post. Pose a question about the WM SummerLite bag and someone such as bilk chips in with an answer based on their actual experience. This is great, I have learned a lot about bags I have never used and hope to learn even more.

The last thing I want to do is hijack this thread and turn it into a “LuxuryLite V Bag” thread. I would rather hear more about other bags but I feel I must respond when I disagree with statements about something I have some experience with. So I will mount up and ride off in all directions one more time.

BarryP Quote: “He still only guarantees 3.15” loft. It’s lucky you got 4”.

It has been a long time since anyone called me “lucky”. The last wooden leg I ordered came with a knothole in it.

Of course the V Bag has a full guarantee and if my bag had not lofted a full 4-inches I would have sent it back. To quote the LuxuryLite web site: “Loft (thickness) 4” total” and this is posted right under a small picture demonstrating the 4-inch loft. The picture is a nice extra touch and I don’t know of anyone else selling sleeping bags that have done that. It would be even nicer if some of the other V Bag owners would jump in at this point with their pro and con opinions.

I don’t think it is fair to include the extra $40 for the pillow when you are comparing the price of the V Bag against other bags without a pillow. The V Bag prices are all off-season sale prices anyway and subject to change. In season and over the long haul I would not be surprised to find the average prices of a high volume dealer like Campmor to be lower. I did screw up on the price of the WM SummerLite long bag; it should have been $305, not $260.

If what you say is true that “Campmor is VERY liberal on its temperature rating” and their heavier fabric material “squishes the loft” than I can’t very well evaluate or respond to your comparison of the 20/30-degree Campmor bags to the V Bag. And this would be a good spot for some Campmor bag owners to respond. At least Campmor lists loft measurements for their brand of bags. So many others do not and that is a big turn off for me when I am shopping for sleeping bags.

I measured the loft of the V Bag with two 4-inch book stacks and a PVC pipe. I drug the bag under the pipe and had good contact with the pipe in both the upper torso and lower leg areas of the bag. I think the extra down in the lower area may be denser but I could not detect much difference in loft. This is probably why bilk and I have had comparable results at around 40-degrees, we both have 4-inch loft bags. I sleep colder than I used to, but did not need my down vest using the V bag as a quilt until the temperature fell to 30 degrees and when it bottomed out at 25 degrees, I zipped the bag up. I stayed warm on what has been my coldest night.

And so far, I have not noticed any excessive down shifting nor any other issues with the location of the top center full-length V Bag zipper. I have told my wife I need to get out more and do a lot more “field testing.” I won’t repeat what she told me.

There are several good bags out there that have half-length center zips. The Nunatak Alpinist should probably be on anyone’s ultimate bag list. It is listed with 2.5-inch high baffles, which should two-layer loft about 5 inches. The 6’ 6 inch long bag is 23 ounces and costs $411. Here is what Nunatak says about the center zip Alpinist.

“First we moved the zipper from the side to a center front location. This gives you full use of both arms while still having head and back in the sleeping bag, a must when performing camp tasks in less than ideal conditions. The center zip also gives you more effective torso ventilation. Sleeping on your sides is also more comfortable since a zipper on your shoulder sucks.”

I have found lighter weight down sleeping quilts such as Nunatak and Jacks R Better, but none as cheap as the V Bag. And I like having a back up zipper for those cold nights when I chicken out.

#83925 - 01/08/08 10:57 AM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: 2brnot2b]
totempole99 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
If you act quick.......www.steepandcheep.com

Big Agnes Moon Hill Sleeping Bag: 0 Degree Down w/ Mummy Pad

2 lb 2 oz
0 degree
$165.14

EDIT- Never mind, I'm an idgit. The bag is 2 lb 12 oz, and then the pad is another 2 lb 2 oz.

Edited by totempole99 (01/08/08 11:05 AM)

#83926 - 01/08/08 04:12 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: 2brnot2b]
hootyhoo Offline

Loc: Cyberspace
If you make your own you can get what you want. If you want someone else to make it for you - add their labor and profit to that.
Anther option - if you are ever in China.....pick one up. I bet you could get one over there for 75.00, that would sell at REI for 375.00.

#83927 - 01/08/08 07:41 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: totempole99]
BOWSINGER Offline

Now we could use some input from Big Agnes bag users. Anyone side sleeping in one? Or using a “normal” bag inside one of these? I have been thinking about the BA system as a winter over bag for my LuxuryLite V Bag/quilt. I am a side sleeper but I only roll over when I am awake. I know I can do this under my quilt and inside an old 32-inch wide synthetic fill mummy bag without turning the bag over. I don’t care about the hood except as a place to hold my pillow. So would a BA system work for a side sleeper like me?

I don’t see the Moon Hill model on the BA web site? The specs quoted by totem pole look great.

No, and I have never stayed at a Holiday Express.

#83928 - 01/09/08 07:24 AM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: BOWSINGER]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I am a side sleeper and the Big Agnes Divide series bags do not allow me to bend my knees enought to sleep well. The Classic series bags do have enough room to bend my knee.

#199731 - 12/07/17 07:24 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: 2brnot2b]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By 2brnot2b
I am looking for a bag that meets the following criteria:

1. Light (around 2 lbs or less)
2. Under $180.00
3. Good to at least 35 degrees F.

I am looking at the Kelty Cosmic 20, duck down, $112, no shipping, if you look around. Reviews are good but the bag is 2 lbs. 9 oz. A little heavier than you (and I) would like, but apparently good to at least the upper 20s. I am going to be buying in the next few days, I will let you know what it looks like in my hands. A field test will neet to wait until next spring. Stay tuned.

#199737 - 12/08/17 05:32 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: 2brnot2b]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
My criteria were;
Under 2.2 pounds: one Kilo
Pretex shell
800 Down or better
Good Reviews
under 20 degree F rating (-6 C)
A brand with a good reputation
From a company I could return it to if necessary.
After many years of experience I find this one the best I have ever had. Warmest for its weight.
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/hightail-3s
Spend the bucks. It will last a very long time.

#199743 - 12/10/17 12:55 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: 2brnot2b]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
The ultimate must be along these lines

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/exped-waterbloc-1000-down-sleeping-bag/?aid=1de0fe5b72cc9ced63d2986e3bddb&pid=10004&cpkey=G9YEthUmuQKoWKSzojdj5GJortY858RWY8dJrfXs2MY&_$ja=tsid:60797|cid:775777833|agid:44715081590|tid:pla-146884569907|crid:185535913393|nw:g|rnd:11847355080708888648|dvc:t|adp:1o4|mt:|loc:9046172&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Z3wn4GA2AIVBxDTCh06jwqeEAQYBCABEgK9iPD_BwE

#199902 - 12/16/17 10:43 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: 2brnot2b]
runningman55 Offline

These days there is a lot of talk about how camping quilts are better than sleeping bags because the part of the sleeping bad you are laying on becomes compressed anyway and does not provide insulation. A quilt without the under part makes it lighter and still provide about the same warmth. So I am wondering if you Ultimate sleeping bag quest can be expanded to be an Ultimate sleeping bag or camping quilt quest.

#200354 - 03/08/18 12:08 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: BOWSINGER]
slammer Offline

Loc: AL
I'm still using a North Face UL Down bag I bought some time around 1991. I think it retailed at around 500 or 600 at the time and I grabbed it at a season clearance for 300. At the time I thought I was an idiot for spending so much for a bag. It was really my hiking buddy who talked me into it. I should probably thank him next time I see him. It still keeps me warm and weights in at about 1.5 lbs

#201038 - 05/22/18 03:17 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: slammer]
SQWIB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Sorry this thread is old
What I did was go with a quilt and increase layers of clothing, this works out well because I can layer the clothing when at camp and for sleeping without adding weight.

I like to sleep without clothing other then my underwear, once I overcame that and decided to sleep with clothing, I was able to really knock down my weight.

#201047 - 05/25/18 02:32 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: runningman55]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
Originally Posted By runningman55
These days there is a lot of talk about how camping quilts are better than sleeping bags because the part of the sleeping bad you are laying on becomes compressed anyway and does not provide insulation.

That is an issue that the Klymit Intertia X-Frame ultralight inflatable sleeping mat was designed to address. It has various cut out sections in it which allow the down in the bottom of your sleeping bag to stay uncompressed in those specific areas, and loft up into them (you use it inside your sleeping bag), providing much greater warmth that you can get with sleeping mats that go under your sleeping bag.

#201048 - 05/25/18 02:47 PM Re: The Ultimate Sleeping Bag [Re: slammer]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
Originally Posted By slammer
I'm still using a North Face UL Down bag I bought some time around 1991. I think it retailed at around 500 or 600 at the time and I grabbed it at a season clearance for 300. At the time I thought I was an idiot for spending so much for a bag. It was really my hiking buddy who talked me into it. I should probably thank him next time I see him. It still keeps me warm and weights in at about 1.5 lbs

The North Face Hightail 3S is heavy by modern standards. A regular sized Marmot Phase 20 (20F), 850 down sleeping bag, is almost as warm as the 3S, costs about the same, yet it is nearly 250 grams lighter than a regular sized Hightail 3S. Even if you wear extra clothing, like ultralight thermal top and bottom, to address the slight difference in warmth, the Phase 20 will still be lighter than a 3S. I couldn't afford either bag though so I compromised and went for an even lighter option...The Marmot Phase 30 (30f), 850 down sleeping bag, as its at least £100 cheaper (I paid £320) and because it only weighs 500 grams!...A whopping 407 grams lighter than a 3S!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum