Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80548 - 09/28/07 10:47 AM Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere
JAK Offline

I still have enough trouble simply trying to undo them,
but they could be a very rewarding project to try and tackle.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21018119/

Seriously, I just thought it would be fun to post. But perhaps there are DIY methods that might work for smaller sizes. Also, for the more demanding sizes, even though some of us might never get a chance to go there (not unlike formula one racing and space exploration), there might be some technologies that could be applied to other more humble projects, like backpacks, or hammocks, or suspension bridges.

#80549 - 09/28/07 11:53 AM Re: Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere [Re: JAK]
pennys Offline

Loc: Washington
there is a serious subset of sewists who make thier own bras, and several web sites and supply houses that cater to them. I think the favored technique is to copy a a favorite.

#80550 - 10/09/07 06:57 AM Re: Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere [Re: JAK]
naturegirl Offline

Loc: Southern California
ick! I never wear them. Natural is better.

Annie

#80551 - 10/19/07 03:57 PM Re: Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere [Re: naturegirl]
tarbubble Offline

Loc: ca-li-for-ni-a
bra-free may be fine if you are an A or a B, but you get into my territory (DD) and a mammary harness is blessed relief. plus i have no desire to end up with breasts like tennis balls in tube socks.

hmmm, bra sewing. just what i need, another time drainer. although i have never found a perfect bra....

#80552 - 10/19/07 04:34 PM Re: Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere [Re: tarbubble]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
The best one I have found for hiking was a $10 or 11 one from Walmart, and of course they promptly quit sewing them. Never thought about sewing one though!
I may have to make a pattern of it. I wear it when we go 4 wheeling, and don't have the "bouncy owies" the next morning.

#80553 - 02/07/08 06:35 AM Re: Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere [Re: pennys]
Ziva Offline

Any tips from anyone on DIY sports bra's?

I'm trying to make a supportive tri bra from lycra and lycra mesh based on an old Zoot bra.

It has flat overlapping seams made of mesh-- any tips on how I could make those on a home serger?

#80554 - 02/07/08 07:18 AM Re: Behind the seams - DIY Brassiere [Re: Ziva]
Kate Offline

Loc: On top of the North Downs, UK
Flatlocking: there should be instructions in your serger manual. Otherwise, take a look at this book for many fine serger techniques:
Complete Serger Handbook (A Sterling/Sewing Information Resources book) (Paperback) by Chris James (Author)

For further excellent tips that might help, talk to Stuart: http://home.iprimus.com.au/seanderson/index.htm

Stuart has spent many years designing and making swimwear for women and is very experienced in dealing with stretch fabrics. He has, I think, also made bras for his wife. Fun guy, with a mad selection of fabrics and machines!

This lady in Oz will take your ancient tatty old bra and make from it a perfect pattern, and send back that and a basic kit for you to make one yourself, or can use it to make for you: http://www.beautifulbras.com.au/book.htm#pattern She comes very well recommended in many places. It isn't a cheap service, but over the years could save you a lot.

One of the main things to remember when you set about bra making is that over 78% of women wear the wrong size bra! Many bra problems are solved by having a proper bra fitting session with a trained fitter who will find the correct size, shape, and make of bra for you. As with any other type of clothing, one maker's 32DD is not the same as another's! (I find in particular with this size that most makers are expecting it to be fitted to a teen/20's dolly with plastic inserts rather than a woman in her 50's with kids who is all natural!). When you are larger than expected (and all ready to wear clothing, whatever the size, from 00 to 8XL, is made for a B cup figure), the sums don't add up, and for greater comfort you need either to pay a lot more or learn to make your own. Bras and shoes are the two areas of clothing where I'm prepared to spend real money.

Remember also that RTW bras are made to last about six months if you wear them 2-3 times a week and hand wash them... The larger your size (cup OR band!) the more stress you put on it, and the shorter the lifespan of the bra will be. This information and the wrong size stats come to you courtesy of Charnos and the Designs on You Bra TV program of a few years back. I had a couple of the Bioform bras that came out of that program when I was a 38F/FF... I'm a bit smaller now! And I have been very tempted to make my own bras, but have not yet had the time to dedicate to acquiring the skill set.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum