Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206210 - 03/19/22 09:14 PM Summit day backpack
Louie Offline

Loc: California
Hi, I was wondering what people's strategy is when going on a long weekend trip that includes a day trip without all your gear.

So I need a overnight pack to carry tent, sleeping bag, ect, but on one day I only need enough for like 8 hours, a typical day hike.

Do you pack a day-pack in your large pack and add the couple pounds or just take the large pack on the day trip with only a few things you need.

Or maybe a single medium sized pack that can split the difference?

#206211 - 03/20/22 11:19 AM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
I’ve done both

It depends on the nature of the trip

#206212 - 03/20/22 07:01 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
If I were climbing a significant mountain that required an overnight camp before summit day I would (have used) use the pack I packed in. My overnight pack is only about a Kilo so that is reasonable for a day excursion. A fair sized backpack can also be used to put your feet in if you have an unexpected night out.

#206217 - 03/22/22 12:46 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
We do the hike-setup-hike scenario nearly every trip, lately, since the sites in RMNP are reserved and there are so many cool alpine lakes, so I have bought packs that were meant to compress a lot when not carrying the whole kit.

For about 15 years, I used a Golite Jam pack which has clips at the bottom and long compression straps to shrink the pack. Now, I carry a SD Flex Capacitor which compresses horizontally down to 25L.

I have a little daypack that is designed to flip inside out to be a stuff sack inside a larger pack, but haven't used it like that.

#206218 - 03/22/22 01:27 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: DustinV]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I was eyeing those Flex Capacitors back when they were available on Drop. Sadly, Drop seems to have, well, dropped almost all of their outdoor related offerings, but I digress. How do you like that pack?

#206220 - 03/22/22 01:57 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
This, like all of one's gear choices, depends on making tradeoffs among a matrix of factors. I recently bought a 20L UL day pack made by Sea-to-Summit to address this question for my own hikes away from a base camp. It is called Ultra-Sil Day Pack and weighs 2.5 oz. It works for me because my day hike loads don't weigh very much.

#206223 - 03/23/22 03:35 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: aimless]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Those are some nice packs you all are using. Mine is a bit heavier at 9 oz but the REI Flash 18 waist strap works as a hip belt on my long torso which is amazing so all the weight rides on my hips, not the shoulders. Water is heavy enough to make this a precious thing. I hate weight on the shoulders all day even with a lighter day pack.

#206228 - 03/24/22 05:27 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: 4evrplan]
DustinV Offline

4Evrplan, I've only had the chance to take it on one trip, so far. I got the 25-45L version on a SD flash sale for about $80. With a BV450 jammed into the top, it was barely able to close, but I liked how it carried the weight while full and when compressed down to daypack size. The frame on this smaller version is overbuilt for the pack size, but I was glad to have it when full. When it's compressed, it carries kind of like a running vest, with all the reachable pockets.

The old Golite Jam was like carrying a sleepy child back to the hotel all the way from the deepest part of Disneyland at closing time.

Edited by DustinV (03/24/22 05:29 PM)

#206243 - 04/01/22 11:48 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
Louie Offline

Loc: California
Thanks all, that is kind of what I figured, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing options.

I have been kind of curious about packs like DustinV talks about, maybe I will look into them more.

I do a lot of my backpacking in the southwest on trips with little or no water along the way. When starting a trip with 25+ pounds of water, saving a couple pounds on gear never seemed that important, so being very light has not been a priority.

#206885 - 02/12/23 04:25 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
trekhigher Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I just the pack that I took to basecamp. I've found that I barely notice it's there because the hip belt is meant to carry so much more weight. I also disconnect the brain and leave it behind.

#206890 - 02/13/23 01:51 PM Re: Summit day backpack [Re: Louie]
DustinV Offline

I've had a couple more trips with the SD Flex Capacitor 25-40L.
Since the BV450 didn't fit in it very well, I grabbed a Contender bear can which fits inside much better. Also, I can confirm the pack does very well with water carry weight. More to the point of the thread though, it makes an excellent daypack when compressed.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that with this smaller capacity model, 40L is really the maximum for this pack. It doesn't have a draft collar, so you actually need to dial in the volume of your gear more than the weight. I chose this capacity because 25L is small enough to be a daypack.

Edited by DustinV (02/14/23 11:52 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum