Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206715 - 11/13/22 05:45 PM free camping - an attitude
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I remember my first "night camped out" in the back yard when I was 5, all I had was some blankets. As a teenager I would take only an old rectangular cotton sleeping bag. Later I carried a piece of plastic to put over me and a bag for my jacket that made a pillow. Finally I bought a pack frame, sewed my own pack and bought a 3/8" foam sleeping pad. I always cooked over a fire in a coffee can, one for food, one for coffee.

The point being, gear just makes things more comfortable, if you are tough enough, you can trade discomfort for weight. No need to not camp just because you don't have nice gear. Jim

#206716 - 11/13/22 06:30 PM Re: free camping - an attitude [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
"PMags" has several "Frugal Backpacker" lists, ranging from $290 to $400, here. It's surprising how many items are marked "free" because they are already in your closet, bathroom or kitchen!

There are other versions; I believe this Frugal Gearlist idea started with "Sergeant Rock." As Jim points out, many of us developed our own from necessity.

You may be able to do it for less by haunting thrift stores, want-ads and sales. Or borrowing.

Starting out in the back yard (yours or borrowed), as Jim did, or car-camping (if no back yard is to be had) is a good idea, so you have an easy way of escape if you foul up. Be sure to do some of your practice camps in bad weather so you learn how to stay warm and dry. Many of us have had to do this the hard way.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/13/22 06:34 PM)

#207287 - 01/08/24 05:21 AM Re: free camping - an attitude [Re: Jimshaw]
DanyBacky Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
I remember my first "night camped out" in the back yard when I was 5, all I had was some blankets. As a teenager I would take only an old rectangular cotton sleeping bag. Later I carried a piece of plastic to put over me and a bag for my jacket that made a pillow. Finally I bought a pack frame, sewed my own pack and bought a 3/8" foam sleeping pad. I always cooked over a fire in a coffee can, one for food, one for coffee.

The point being, gear just makes things more comfortable, if you are tough enough, you can trade discomfort for weight. No need to not camp just because you don't have nice gear. Jim

I liked reading your post about your camping adventures. I respect your creativity and your courage to camp with little gear. I agree that gear is not the main thing when it comes to camping, but rather the mindset and the spirit of exploration. I also believe that camping with less gear can make you more attentive to your environment and more in tune with nature. However, I also believe that some gear can make camping more comfortable and fun, especially in extreme weather conditions or isolated locations. I’m not telling you to buy costly or fancy gear, but rather that you can borrow or go to dollar stores for camping gears.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum