Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203236 - 07/17/19 01:56 PM When do you take pain meds?
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
When I was younger, I would only take non-prescription pain killers (Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, and the like) when I actually had a headache or muscle pain. Now, at 69, after a "long" day (say, 10 or 12 miles) of hiking, I find that I'll take a dose as a preventive, rather than palliative, measure. (I nearly said "prophylactic rather than palliative, but I've seen how my fellow elders' minds work. smile )

What do you all do (besides the obvious: "Don't try to walk that far in a day!")

#203243 - 07/17/19 09:28 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
tramp Offline

Loc: WV
I have a prescription for 500mg Naproxen for arthritis. I don't take them normally until it hurts. However if I know I'll be pushing it I'll take 1000MG in advance. It's the maximum allowed dose but since I use them sparingly it's not dangerous. At leat that's what my Dr. says. laugh

#203245 - 07/17/19 11:04 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I skip pain killers pretty much all the time, regardless of how I feel. Can't remember the last time I actually took any pain killers, but it's been a number of years. I do carry them though. I've dealt with a bad lower back for quite some time now, and a painful right shoulder when wearing a pack, but don't take anything for them.
Backpacking trips are usually around 15-20 miles a day.

#203249 - 07/18/19 06:46 AM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
In the past I got frequent headaches so I took aspirin. Tylenol never worked. The last few years Tylenol works fine for my occasional headaches. When hiking I frequently get leg cramps when I lay down in the tent. I take Ibuprofen and the cramps usually go away in less than five minutes. My doctor tells me that they cannot act that fast but I have experienced it on too many occasions to dismiss the result. The cramps are too real to dismiss as imagination and they do not go away until I take the Ibuprofen.

#203251 - 07/18/19 09:22 AM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I’ve used a variety of stuff through the years. At present I carry ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain and swelling and Imitrex for migraine headaches. I also carry six oxycodone in my first aid kit. The oxy has been in the FAK for over five years; probably past it’s sell-by date by now. At one time I just carried aspirin.

#203257 - 07/18/19 11:38 AM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: GrumpyGord]

Leg cramps are always an issue on the trail with me, too. A dose of Tylenol or Advil before turning in often means no cramps, or they’re not as severe or long.

#203258 - 07/18/19 12:05 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]

I never thought about taking something before I lay down. My first thought is that I do not want to take Tylenol and then a half hour later take Ibuprofen. I am not sure if mixing the two would be a problem.

#203259 - 07/18/19 01:22 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: GrumpyGord]

I don’t mix them, I just take one or the other. Either seems to work.

#203264 - 07/18/19 09:05 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Advil when something hurts.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203280 - 07/20/19 09:58 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I have muscle and joint pain all of the time, but I tend not to take OTC pain medications before the fact, althogh my doctor has suggested taking some at bedtime. I prefer Naproxin over Ibuprofen even though I don't feel like Naproxin works as well. I have night time cramps often, mostly when I stretch. This is a problem when sleeping on the ground, because I have to get up and walk around to relieve the cramp. I find it very difficult to put my pants on while sitting on the ground because this often triggers cramps. A hammock is much better from that perspective, but I'm a side sleeper and don't do well in hammocks. I've avoided Ibuprofen for some years because of the adverse GI effects. I might try just one before bedtime to see if it improves sleep and relieves the cramps. The tricky part about the GI effects is that you don't know that you've got it until you've got it. I do know someone that had GI bleeding due to Ibuprofen.

#203379 - 08/29/19 04:00 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bobito9 Offline

I unfortunately get very consistent knee pain when I backpack, particularly on rough trails, big granite steps up or down, and likewise often feel it when I sleep afterwards. It's very disturbing and I have a suspicion there is a genetic component of sensitivity to pain involved, as my dad was a major pain sufferer and always medicating for it.
Anyhow, I certainly don't want to let it stop my backpacking or talus hopping! I have a prescription for meloxicam, which is a once a day NSAID, ie like naprosyn and ibuprofen. It helps and feels easier on my stomach than other NSAIDs, but I still end up taking tylenol, too, sometimes. My doctor does have me take annual kidney and liver function tests to make sure it isn't harming me.
Maybe a more useful thread for me would be one on preventive exercises for knee pain!

#203382 - 08/30/19 06:12 AM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]

I learned something last week. I had a headache about noon while I was out in the shop. I did not want to go into the house so I looked and I had some generic acetaminophen. I don't know where it came from, probably the dollar store. It was acetaminophen PM but I thought that it would work just fine so I took two. By the time I went in for supper I could hardly keep my eyes open. After supper I usually read but I kept dozing off. I finally watched a couple of YouTube videos and went to bed. If I have a problem with falling asleep I know what to take.

#203384 - 08/30/19 10:21 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: GrumpyGord]
bobito9 Offline

I'm not surprised! When it says PM on it, that means to take it at night to help you sleep, as it has benadryl (diphenhidramine) added.Not only is benadryl used for allergies, it also is an over-the-counter sleeping pill.

#206687 - 10/21/22 08:54 PM Re: When do you take pain meds? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Arapiles Offline

I don't use painkillers in the regular course. I had a badly arthritic hip owing to an accident when I was very young, and I didn't take painkillers for it, firstly because the pain wasn't that bad, secondly because regular painkillers didn't actually help with bad pain and thirdly because it's too easy to get dependant on them. I seemed to have less pain that other people I spoke to and I suspect that's because I rode and walked everywhere. I only had the hip operated on when I found that it was literally grinding me to a halt.

Edited by Arapiles (10/21/22 08:55 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum