Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205897 - 09/29/21 11:47 PM NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome
Emmie Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Hi y'all - thanks for looking in and hopefully bringing some advice. I've been hiking with family and friends along the East Coast / AT since I was a kid, so I'm not a total newbie.

In a few weeks I'll be taking off on my first solo trip in the MidWest (4 days / 3 nights.) I've got a couple questions but here is helpful context :

- Accompanied by large K9
- Hammock w/ rainfly (each day wraps @ shelters though ice)
- Heading NE on the IAT from the Whitewater area / Clover Valley trail head

Alrighty, questions...
1. Likelihood of bear run-ins along this route?
2. Anything to watch for with weather this time of year? I'm still getting used to how fast things shift (precipitation and temp) here.
3. Anything to know with the dog in the Whitewater area? Terrain or wildlife concerns outside of the usual?

Biggest question...
I'm new to the forums. Don't have FB so appreciate help here... anything I should be aware of as far as current happenings / human-related safety concerns in this area?

Thank you in advance for the welcome & help smile

#205901 - 10/01/21 08:17 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Emmie]
UrbanYeti Offline

Loc: Northern Illinois, USA
Never hiked the IAT, yet, but am an hour south of where you’ll be headed. Black bears have been spotted in the region but not a heavy presence. I think the biggest thing is deer hunting season just kicked off so watch for that. Not sure what WI’s gun season is but IL isn’t for a few more weeks. https://iceagetrail.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=5ff8f517b1e34d46bb70ed21b36286c6

#205902 - 10/02/21 02:57 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Emmie]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
What is the IAT?

#205903 - 10/02/21 05:46 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Per The Free Dictionary--IAT, it may be the International Appalachian Trail? IAT also refers to a number of accounting-related items, with which we retired accountants thankfully no longer need be concerned.

To the OP: Whatever the IAT is, October is hunting season almost everywhere. Please wear a large blaze orange item and put another on your dog! Also, for the safety of your dog (so he doesn't decide to chase a game animal, which renders him legally liable to be shot in many jurisdictions), please keep him on leash!

#205904 - 10/02/21 05:51 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: OregonMouse]

Per UrbanYeti's post above, evidently it's the Ice Age Trail . Which makes sense since the OP is in Wisconsin. The home page shows suggested wear for the OP and dog at this time of year!

I should have thought of that, because I dayhiked a short stretch of this trail back in 2005 during a trip through the Midwest.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/02/21 06:01 PM)

#205905 - 10/02/21 07:00 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: OregonMouse]

More details about hiking the IAT in Wisconsin's hunting season here.

Evidently parts of the trail on private land may be closed, so some careful research is warranted.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/02/21 07:02 PM)

#205907 - 10/03/21 08:40 AM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Thanks, Mouse. My first thought was International AT also - but the trailheads were too far west. I'd forgotten about the Ice Age Trail (and, now also being retired, the accounting terms.)

#205928 - 10/11/21 03:04 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Emmie]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I haven't lived in Wisconsin for 20 years, but last time I was there, deer gun season is the 10 days surrounding the week of Thanksgiving + the weekend before and after. October weather in Wisconsin is usually very mild but you can have some residual summer heat or early cool down. Make sure you can handle temperatures into the 30's. Though rain is not common it can always happen. Make sure to follow the weather as your trip approaches.

Black bears are not much of a problem along the ice age trail as far as I have heard. Bears are actively hunted in the area so tend to be pretty standoffish around humans.

I am not the most knowledgable about hiking with dogs, but if you are athletic and plan to do long miles be aware that dogs are not designed to travel as far as people can. They seem much more athletic than us, but they are made for speed and long naps. Trying to have your dog hiking all day can be dangerous for them.

#206448 - 06/15/22 04:05 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Emmie Offline

Everyone has long-since answered this, but Ice Age Trail smile

#206449 - 06/15/22 04:07 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Emmie]
Emmie Offline

Thank you everyone for the responses last year! I decided to wait out the hunting season, and then the winter... we've done some training hikes & overnight camps to get Kova used to things, while waiting for it to warm up & the rainy season here in WI to pass.

Now we are back on track & I'm SO excited!!

#206450 - 06/15/22 04:09 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: BZH]
Emmie Offline

Thank you very much! I'm taking all of this into account - while it's not hunting season now, still 'bearing' in mind your other comments.

We've worked out a schedule for hiking in a morning & evening stint, breaking through the heat of the day. It works for me medically as well, since I'm prone to fainting in high-heat... Beyond that I'm thrilled to see he is standing up to his breed expectations and does well hauling for longer distances as long as he's kept cool.

#206451 - 06/15/22 04:12 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: OregonMouse]
Emmie Offline

I grabbed extra high-vis gear for Kova! Some glow-gear as well for night, since he's pitch black. After tripping over him in camp several times I 'got smart'.

#206457 - 06/16/22 06:35 PM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Emmie]

My daughter has a black Lab, and he's absolutely invisible at night! I I bought him a reflective collar!

Looking forward to your trip report!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/16/22 06:40 PM)

#206469 - 06/20/22 10:34 AM Re: NEW! 4 Day on the IAT Upcoming - Advice Welcome [Re: Emmie]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Glad to hear you haven't given up on these plans! It is a beautiful area. I remember mountain biking in Kettle Moraine when I was a student at Marquette. It sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a seasoned backpacker.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum