Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206280 - 04/30/22 04:45 AM Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent
Scotttyd Offline

Hello -
So this is not the normal topic of this forum- but figured you might be able to hlp me.
We have a new addition to our camping family - have a toddler now and hoping to make our first camping trips soon with her.
I am looking for a larger tent - likely a 6-8 person tent. We want something that we will use a couple of times a year, but will last and allow us to grow into it - something that will comfortably sleep 4 (if she brings a friend). Something with a divider to give a little privacy.
Definitely needs to stand up to the elements (wind and rain) as we sometimes camp on the beach here in NC.
I am tall (6’3") so like something I can comfortably stand up and walk around in - especially on those rainy days were we may hang out in the tent.
Likely will have a queen size blow up and then maybe a 2nd twin/full for the kiddo(s).
Since we won’t be hiking in with this, being lightweight isn’t a big deal, as we are willing to sacrifice weight for quality - but the don’t want something massively heavy if not needed.

Any specific brand names you all would recommend, or products you love? I have a kelty for backpacking, but they don’t make big tents it looks like.

thanks!

#206281 - 04/30/22 07:16 AM Re: Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent [Re: Scotttyd]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I did a quick check of the Kelty website, and they sell several 4 and 6 person tents.

#206282 - 04/30/22 12:17 PM Re: Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent [Re: Scotttyd]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The best bit of advice I can give you is stay away from anything that has fiberglass poles. eek

Because you've indicated you want to be able to set up on a sandy beach, where you can only stake down in sand, one major problem you'll need to consider is that a big tent you can walk around in and maybe have a room divider in will present a lot of "sail area" in strong winds. This difficulty is mostly solved by using broad sand/snow stakes you can bury deep, but you'll need plenty of strong guy-out points for them and poles that can take the strain. You'll want to think about excluding blowing sand, too. Or you may want to reconsider the wisdom of tenting on a beach in stormy weather. blush

#206284 - 04/30/22 09:05 PM Re: Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent [Re: aimless]
Scotttyd Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
The best bit of advice I can give you is stay away from anything that has fiberglass poles. eek

Because you've indicated you want to be able to set up on a sandy beach, where you can only stake down in sand, one major problem you'll need to consider is that a big tent you can walk around in and maybe have a room divider in will present a lot of "sail area" in strong winds. This difficulty is mostly solved by using broad sand/snow stakes you can bury deep, but you'll need plenty of strong guy-out points for them and poles that can take the strain. You'll want to think about excluding blowing sand, too. Or you may want to reconsider the wisdom of tenting on a beach in stormy weather. blush

haha - ya- I won't intend to camp during the stormy weather, but you know things come up!.

Mostly will be just in our mtns, which is pretty protected, but the occasional open bald is on the table.

#206285 - 04/30/22 09:09 PM Re: Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Scotttyd Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
I did a quick check of the Kelty website, and they sell several 4 and 6 person tents.

I Missed the 6 person ones the first time - the fours are too small if we all want to sleep in them comfortably (we are car camping with this one) - their 6 person are dome tents, which have less space than a wall tent (if I am using the right term)- but thanks, I wish there was a place I could see one actually open and walk around in it

#206287 - 05/02/22 10:33 AM Re: Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent [Re: Scotttyd]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I just replaced my aging REI 6 person tent with a Eureka Space Camp. I have not used my new tent, so I cannot give a competent review. I will say what attributes we looked for.

As you mentioned I would have loved to have seen stuff setup, but the only option for that was a one or two REI tents in store. The one thing I looked for that was surprisingly difficult in a 6 person tent was full rain fly coverage. Our old REI Hobitat (no longer sold) had vertical walls and a ceiling at 7'6". It was great in California where it hardly ever rains frown In Alabama with four people and two dogs enough stuff was pressed against the walls that we woke up soaked after a night of rain. I looked for a full rain fly coverage, as much head and shoulder as I could get without breaking the bank. The Eureka Space Camp fit the bill. Two rooms would have been nice but the tents we found had flaws in other areas (not fully enclosed in a rain fly, too big, too expensive, poor reviews).

Other tents I considered: REI Basecamp (more expensive) and the Alps Mountaineering Taurus 6 (not as roomy, fiberglass poles).

Edited by BZH (05/02/22 10:39 AM)

#206288 - 05/02/22 06:05 PM Re: Looking for a larger 6/8 person tent [Re: Scotttyd]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
We are using an REI Basecamp 6 and it is big and bombproof in storms, super strong design and steady in a gale. At over 6’ I can stand in the center. You could put four in there but no privacy. There is a huge front vestibule with no floor, good for cooking in weather. A guy had a picture of a campground hit by a microburst and his Basecamp 6 was the only big tent of many dozens still standing.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum