Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206231 - 03/28/22 04:06 AM impractical notion bringing a novice into the back
zanewiller Offline

Loc: washington
I'm spending the mid year in Central Idaho hiking. I have a pal that I vehicle camp with that has 0 experience hiking. He chose to drive up and rucksack with me. We looked at his stuff and it was terrible. He most likely has a base weight near 40 pounds. Fundamentally he brought his vehicle setting up camp stuff. He purchased a no name knapsack off of amazon. He has an ozark trail tent, 30 degree walmart camping bed, a yoga mat to rest on. Evening time temps range from 27 to 40 here. I let him know he could utilize a portion of my UL gear like my EE Rev and Gatewood Cape however he doesnt need to and afterward. I mean I question the 30 degree resting and yoga mat will keep him warm. He likewise purchased a 1 pound liquor oven haha . He doesnt need to utilize any of my stuff. All I shared with him was on the off chance that you can convey that gear then, at that point, bring it. I'm a little stressed over going on a long outing so I think a will do a short over night into fourth of july lake and check whether he altered his perspective on utilizing my stuff.

Im a UL explorer. My stuff is totally under wraps. Im sure the vast majority of your stuff is something similar. What do you do when you go on a novice on an outing and their stuff is finished poop and very weighty? Just let them gain from their mix-ups?

I comprehend the need to move slowly with fledglings yet I have an inclination we will stop to rest like clockwork

#206232 - 03/28/22 06:56 AM Re: impractical notion bringing a novice into the back [Re: zanewiller]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Take him on a one night trip in mild weather and only a few miles from the car. Let him use his own equipment. He will soon figure out that what he has is not going to work.

#206233 - 03/28/22 09:50 AM Re: impractical notion bringing a novice into the back [Re: zanewiller]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You can talk to him about equipment, but if he is resistant he needs to learn it the way most of us do by carrying it up a mountain. To be honest, 40 lbs doesn't seem that bad as a starting point. I've seen a lot worse. No bluejeans? No canned food?

I don't think it is realistic to plan an extended hike as a first hike. As the post above me suggested, plan a one or two nighter out and back. See how far up the mountain he can get and let him figure out his own equipment. Maybe he is a goat and will out hike you with three times the weight.

#206787 - 12/19/22 08:37 AM Re: impractical notion bringing a novice into the back [Re: zanewiller]
AikoO1 Offline

Talk to him about it, explain what's wrong

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum