Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206143 - 02/25/22 03:28 PM "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations
Lostpoet Offline

Hello everyone!I'm sure this has been asked before but with prices changing so much recently I want to get some fresh advice.

I want to buy a quality soft shell hooded jacket. I'm hoping to stay around $70, i can do $100, max $140 but to justify spending that much it would need to be "twice" the jacket compared to one at $70.

I'd like it to be casual enough to still be worn in town or on a laid-back date. A water resistant coating that doesn't need too much maintenance, and warm enough that combined with a thermal and hoodie I'd be comfortable down to about 15-20 F. I don't know if that's asking too much or is easy to achieve in the price point.

The Lighter and more packable the better but I know with my budget that's limited and I'd prefer not to sacrifice durability or warmth for weight

I travel alot. This would be used throughout Oklahoma, Missouri, and Colorado, and central Mexico on 3-10 camping trips, fast paced hiking as well as around town, ball games, casual dates etc.

I'm 30, wear a medium t-shirt. And have slightly longer arms and torso than average so a short cut jacket wouldn't work for me.

What would you recommend?

#206145 - 02/25/22 05:57 PM Re: "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations [Re: Lostpoet]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
It might be worth checking out thrift stores. You could get lucky and get a great deal on a high-end jacket.

Or, look at the garage sale area of your local REI. I found an OR Ferrosi for $44.

#206146 - 02/25/22 09:18 PM Re: "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations [Re: DustinV]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
REI garage sales are great places to pick up good items for cheap. You do need to be a REI member to shop the garage sales though.

#206147 - 02/26/22 01:33 AM Re: "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations [Re: aimless]
Lostpoet Offline

Thanks both of you. ALL my gear has come from thrift stores actually lol but none of it is true camping gear other than my pack and sleeping bag. I'll check into rei and am looking on eBay and I think a few forUms have a sales section.

But still wondering what's out there within my budget or if not what's out there that over budget new but i could find used worth keeping an eye out for.

#206149 - 02/26/22 10:31 AM Re: "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations [Re: Lostpoet]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Outdoor Research Men's Ferrosi Anorak Is 99 bucks and the finest soft shell I’ve ever worn. I wear it all winter and am wearing it right now. It’s east to layer and is a useful piece of outerwear. You might find some discounts like I did an get it for about 80 bucks.

#206151 - 02/27/22 04:19 PM Re: "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations [Re: Arizona]
Lostpoet Offline

Thanks, I'm looking for a full zip though. Forgot to say that.
But i appreciate it. Looks real nice

#206159 - 02/28/22 04:15 PM Re: "budget" soft shell hooded jacket recommendations [Re: Lostpoet]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Lostpoet
Thanks, I'm looking for a full zip though. Forgot to say that.
But i appreciate it. Looks real nice

OR makes a Ferrosi jacket as well. $110 retail.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum