Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206108 - 01/26/22 10:01 AM Swiss Army Knife Classic improved (?)
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
This isn't exactly new news, but it was new to me. Victorinox now offers something called the Nail Clip 580. It's essentially the Classic with a nail clipper grafted onto it. You can look at them on the Victorinox website or at Amazon. I got one for Christmas and have yet to take it on the trail (too cold!), but it's worked very well in daily use. (I alternate between the SAK Classic and a Gerber LST UL plus nail clipper plus tweezers plus Fiskars folding scissors - depends on the trip and my mood at the time.)

It has all the tools the Classic has, except there's no screwdriver on the nail file (instead, the nail file comes to a point - cuticle tool? - but I think you could easily turn that point into a screwdriver. To recap: the Clip 580 has tweezers, toothpick, knife, scissors, nail file, and nail clipper. That covers everything I've ever used on the trail (never used the Classic screwdriver) and gives you a pretty full range of functional personal care/first aid tools. The Clip 580 weighs maybe half an ounce more than the Classic (I don't have a scale that will register the difference), but is definitely lighter than a separate nail clipper.

If you like the Classic as your backpacking knife (and that "if" can generate hours of discussion in camp), take a look at the Clip 580.

#206110 - 01/26/22 04:54 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife Classic improved (?) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Of course I looked this up. It looks like it has slightly serrated scissors. Does it? If so, how do you like them?

Also, if the clippers were folded out (but not fully deployed), could they serve as an extended handle while using the blade? Or would the clipper blades pinch your hand?

#206111 - 01/26/22 06:40 PM Re: Swiss Army Knife Classic improved (?) [Re: DustinV]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I just checked, and you're right - there is a very slight serration on the scissors. I got my Classic out, and there's no serration - so I did some test cutting. First, paper: the cut from each scissors seems identical; there is no serrated cut on the paper. Then I tried moleskin (the only other thing I typically cut on the trail): the Classic scissors cut moleskin clean and easily, but the Clip 580 scissors would not cut moleskin at all.

If you deploy the clippers, but don't "flip" the clipper handle over (so it will make the clipper motion), it does make the handle longer. Not sure why I'd need to do that, though.

I did some additional checking at Victorinox and Amazon, and they also sell the clippers by themselves, in two varieties: the clippers with a small red plastic handle on one end, and the clippers inside a Classic-style body (complete with tweezers and toothpick.) The clippers really do work well, so I may order the separate clippers, which weigh less than the drugstore clippers I was using. (Combining the clippers with a Classic, and I'll get my screwdriver back!)

#206113 - 01/27/22 08:46 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife Classic improved (?) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I have one of these and while it does work, the Classic is still my go-to carry knife. For me, the Classic is as thick a knife as I want in my pocket and traditional nail clippers, which I much prefer for clipping nails, don't weigh too much in the pack.

Edited by PerryMK (01/27/22 08:46 AM)

#206114 - 01/27/22 10:50 AM Re: Swiss Army Knife Classic improved (?) [Re: Glenn Roberts]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I was asking about the handle because the Classic is just a little too small for me to grip effectively.

I recently got an Ambassador, which is basically just a slightly larger Classic. I keep a tiny carabiner on it to loop my pinky through when using it, and to hang it inside my pocket.

I have heard that some folks like the serrated scissors better, but I haven't had a chance to try any.

Edited by DustinV (01/27/22 01:59 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum