Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206096 - 01/25/22 11:05 AM What did you not buy today?
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
This is a companion thread to all the threads on gear on these boards. It is increasingly clear that consumerism is a driving force in the issue of global climate change. With that in mind, I am not suggesting that we avoid ever buying anything again, or even avoid buying anything that comes in plastic packaging, but I am suggesting that we should also have a thread here to celebrate NOT buying new gear.

The full article, including examples of scavenged, salvaged, and very long-lived gear is here:

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/what-did-you-not-buy-today

So what you have re-purposed for your backpacking gear? What solutions have you found for gear that is low-impact/no impact on our environment. What gear do you have that has served its purposed well for more than ten years…and doesn’t need to be replaced, perhaps ever? What practices have you adopted that are a significant step in the right direction?

Yes, this thread may offend some advertisers who want us to buy their gear. But I would hope that most of them would also see the long-term benefits of the discussion.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#206097 - 01/25/22 11:43 AM Re: What did you not buy today? [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I can't claim not to have bought anything lately; in fact, I just replaced a windbreaker yesterday. Most of my gear is less than 5 years old; yes, I'm a gear freak.

However, in my defense, I don't toss my old gear, or even leave it lying around in a "spare gear" pile. I've been fortunate enough, over the last 20 years or so, to be able to indulge my desire to try out a lot of new, good gear - and I've passed it along (mostly for free) to others. I've always rationalized that I'm not fighting consumerism directly, but indirectly by eliminating someone else's need to buy the item I just bought. (The two greatest inventions of humankind are the ability to rationalize, and compound interest. smile )

#206099 - 01/25/22 12:45 PM Re: What did you not buy today? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
lol

#206100 - 01/25/22 02:07 PM Re: What did you not buy today? [Re: balzaccom]
Tom7654 Offline

I'm also a fan of scavenged and re-purposed gear, partly for environmental reasons and partly because I'm a habitual cheapskate. :-)

I highly recommend the book Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland. He has the same attitude, and the book is full of useful tips: cheap water bottles, DIY alcohol stoves, mini-Bic lighters, lightweight food from the grocery store, razor blade instead of pocketknife, etc.

#206101 - 01/25/22 02:17 PM Re: What did you not buy today? [Re: Tom7654]
Tom7654 Offline

> book Ultralight Backpackin' Tips by Mike Clelland

Borrow it from the library or inter-library loan. No need to buy a new copy! :-)

#206102 - 01/25/22 06:26 PM Re: What did you not buy today? [Re: balzaccom]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Hi, I'm Dustin and I'm a gear junkie.
<listless 'hi, dustin' from the rest of the support group>
I have way too many jackets and stoves, etc. I tell myself they're specialized for certain scenarios, but I know I could get by with far fewer.

However, I've been using the same Gatewood Cape for at least 15 years, for ground camping. I usually use a 14-year-old bivy underneath it. I just don't have any desire to replace them because they are dialed to my needs. I've replaced the stakes and tried a couple different poles, but I keep going back to this same shelter.
My sleeping pad also hasn't changed in at least 10 years. I just sleep well on it.

What's encouraging to me is, for the shelter and pad, and a growing list of other things, I'm good. That's been a trend the past few years and I hope it continues. My wife and my wallet will thank me.

#206121 - 01/31/22 03:24 AM Re: What did you not buy today? [Re: balzaccom]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I have a few old pieces of gear that are still good, most notably a pair of Trailwise Slimline sleeping bags. However, I have lighter bags now, so they don't get used much.

The most durable piece of gear is an REI "Teton" daypack that I bought somewhere around 2000. It was used almost every weekend until 2015, and almost every day since. It's faded from the sun, and has had a few minor repairs, but it's still going strong. It has an over-the-top zipper closure which has never failed. The bottom and partway up the sides are a canvas-like nylon or polyester (but not regular Cordura or ballistic cloth) that shows no wear despite years of use. The underside of the shoulder straps are a slightly fuzzy material, which, again, shows no wear. I wish I could find those fabrics somewhere.

Unfortunately, our whole economy is based on consumerism. I don't have the money to participate much, but I suppose if I did, I probably would.

It seems to me that gear manufacturers could do their part by not constantly making needless "improvements" to already good gear. I'll avoid the temptation to rant about that, but it is an annoyance, especially when it comes to shoes.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum