Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#206084 - 01/16/22 09:59 AM Yosemite Wilderness Permits in 2022
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Looks like it's back to the future for wilderness permits in Yosemite.

The new policy for 2022 manages to avoid some of the pitfalls of the last couple of years. Only 60% of the permits for each trailhead can be reserved, and those only by a lottery system--no more "fastest fingers win the prize." And the remaining 40% are available first-come-first-served to walk ups on the day before.

This is great news. It means more permits will be available to people who really do use them, as opposed to reserving out all the permits to on-line reservations months in advance. Here's what the Yosemite website says:

Wilderness Permit Reservations

You can get a wilderness permit or reservation during three different periods:
> Reservations by lottery are available 24 weeks in advance on Recreation.gov.
> Reservations not taken by lottery are available on a first-come, first-served basis on Recreation.gov from about 22 weeks in advance until seven days before intended start date.
> Permits are available in-person on a first-come, first-served basis at permit issuing stations starting at 11 am one day before intended start date.

Sixty percent of reservations are available by reservation. Forty percent of permits (plus any unused reservations) are available starting one day in advance.

The processing fee is $10 per application. If you receive a wilderness permit, an additional fee of $5 per person applies. These fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

You can only apply once per weekly lottery. While there isn't an annual limit on the number of confirmed reservations you can have, you can only have six active (i.e., future) reservations at any given time.
Wilderness permits are required all year, but reservations are only available for trips May through October.
The Yosemite Conservancy Wilderness Office processes all permit reservation applications. Its hours are Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm.

And here's a link to the page that gives even more detail: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#206087 - 01/17/22 02:27 PM Re: Yosemite Wilderness Permits in 2022 [Re: balzaccom]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By balzaccom
This is great news. It means more permits will be available to people who really do use them, as opposed to reserving out all the permits to on-line reservations months in advance.

As OregonMouse will confirm if she sees this, here in Oregon two national forests instituted a brand new permit system in the Central Cascades in 2021. No walk-up permits at all. 60% of permits were made available months in advance via a one-day dump, to be snatched up by whoever was fastest online. As a result, it was reported that more than 50% of the permits issued were never used.

So far, no announcements have been made that any changes to this system are in the works. frown

#206089 - 01/19/22 03:29 PM Re: Yosemite Wilderness Permits in 2022 [Re: balzaccom]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By balzaccom
Looks like it's back to the future for wilderness permits in Yosemite...

--no more "fastest fingers win the prize."

This is a big pet peeve of mine. You can call me a conspiracy theorist, but I am quite certain that people are writing computer codes to snatch up permits. I don't think a fast finger will do it anymore.

We had 6 people with atomic clocks trying to nab a campground reservation for the eclipse a couple years back. There was a four day window of sites becoming available and we couldn't get anything. I am convinced we were competing against computers.... and losing badly frown

#206090 - 01/19/22 07:29 PM Re: Yosemite Wilderness Permits in 2022 [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I had the same problem for the eclipse. Interestingly, I was able to grab cancellations much closer to the event! We did have to move once during the week we were there, but otherwise we had a great solar eclipse experience and a great family reunion as well.

I did read about the problems with the Oregon wilderness areas. I was really miffed about it even though by the time it took effect my "hiking" has become limited to around the block with a walker. Old age has finally caught up with me.

One of the big problems with reservation.gov is that people make reservations and then neither show up nor cancel, leaving the space unusable while half a dozen cars are circling the campground looking for a vacancy.

#206091 - 01/19/22 10:55 PM Re: Yosemite Wilderness Permits in 2022 [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
my "hiking" has become limited to around the block with a walker. Old age has finally caught up with me.

As it will to all of us if we are lucky. grin I find that more and more I appreciate my deep reservoir of good memories and my archive of old photos. Lucky for me I still have a chance to add to them.

#206092 - 01/20/22 01:25 PM Re: Yosemite Wilderness Permits in 2022 [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
And I find the posts on this and other sites some compensation for no longer being able to participate. Thank you all for posting here!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/20/22 05:22 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum