Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205825 - 08/25/21 10:41 AM Re: Best Cook Set [Re: Arizona]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Clearly, I am hanging out with the wrong crowd. That sounds delicious.
The fanciest I get is rehydrating cheesecake-like substance and passing it around with the packet of graham cracker crumbs.
Do you use the simmer ring on the Trangia for all this?

#205826 - 08/25/21 04:14 PM Re: Best Cook Set [Re: DustinV]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Oh yeah, I use the simmer ring on the Trangia big time. It works so well that I really fell in love with that stove. I took the Caldera Cone tri-ti wood burning insert and inverted it to use as a general windscreen with the SP 1400 cook set. Super light and fits tight. The ventilation slots at both top and bottom really makes this an efficient setup. With the ti stakes the pot is 1.5” above the burner, the perfect efficient distance. With the Kovea remote canister stove no stakes are needed, the stove supports do that. The pot fits tight enough to kind of pick up the cone. Not the way Trail Designs intended but works amazingly well.

I’ll simmer for 40 minutes or more at times. The stove easily handles that. I’ve found the stove and simmer ring need to come up to operating heat before closing down the ring to the most constricted extent. Then it’s hard to put out. Even the little hole at the pivot wants to keep a flame. Lol

#205827 - 08/26/21 12:09 PM Re: Best Cook Set [Re: Arizona]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I love using my Trangia, too. I would love to use alcohol stoves again, but that seems like it won't be allowed for the next few years in RMNP. One of the reasons I just ordered a remote-canister stove.

Are you using the SP 1400 mainly for baking? And do you find it's the right size for two people? That's larger than most take for solo use.

Do you have specific sets of stove/pot combos? I think that might help with the OP's questions.

#205828 - 08/26/21 05:33 PM Re: Best Cook Set [Re: DustinV]
Arizona Offline

We are having a strong monsoon season here and are currently in the second or third wettest on record. So both wood and alcohol stoves are allowed in the wilderness areas.

We are using the Snow Peak 1400 for the two of us. The biggest use is boiling water but we like to cook other recipes like I mentioned. If boiling is all we are going to do then we often take the Evernew 1.3 L ti which is the lightest in the two person category. It has a fairly wide diameter too. If we are traveling with another one or two then we take the Snow Peak 2 L CooknSave ti pot. It is the widest and we have nested the Evernew with it to cook and bake all those things. IMO the SP 1400 is the slickest.

Efficiency depends upon the exact pot, stove and windscreen setup. Generally a wider diameter pot will boil faster but with the right stove and windscreen the times become closer. My White Box alcohol stove has the jets blowing out from the side of the stove so the widest pot is needed there. The Trangia burns upwards so that helps with narrower pots. Specific experimentation and notation will tell. It really depends on what you want to do. For simply boiling water it’s hard to beat the Evernew.9l for solo and the Evernew 1.3l for duos. They work well on all the stoves we have used. If you figure out a good tight windscreen that ventilates the air to the flame then you will have a very efficient system with your remote canister stove. We have found ours to be real fuel misers.

We have had the SP1400 for 20 years and the other two for about 15 years. All have been used extensively with several stoves and windscreens.

Experimenting is half the fun as you already know.

#205830 - 08/26/21 09:14 PM Re: Best Cook Set [Re: DustinV]
Arizona Offline

I’ll add that a pot that would be considered for a duo has to be capable at the minimum of boiling 1 liter of water. That means it has to have some freeboard so bigger than 1 liter. A tiny demitasse of something hot in the elements won’t cut it for me. Others may have a different opinion.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum