Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205818 - 08/21/21 01:35 PM Replacing a 2002 Mountain Hardware Tent
Loquinho Offline

Way back in 2002 at the young age of 21 I bought myself a fantastic backpacking tent (for the time). In those days Mountain Hardware and MSR were the new high-end technical outdoor product manufacturers on the scene, and after some deliberation on the internet I purchased a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2. It had everything I wanted in a tent:
- 2 doors
- 2 vestibules
- room to sit up
- LOTS of screening to see the starts
- ability to partially zip the screen so you had privacy, but could still see the stars
- A shape that was really wind resistant (3-pole, hexagonal, no flat sides, fairly shallow angle with ground)
- Easy up (clips)
- a window in the rain fly... granted it was super tiny and I would have preferred something larger.
- great color combo - not bright and flashy. Kinda disappears into the woods.

Anyway, I camped with this tent for the past 20 years almost, but recently I had an unknown can of bug spray explode in my gear locker. None of it touched the tent, but it fumigated all the gear. I don't know what's in that stuff, but it turned all my tent fabric... soft? And kinda tacky. The seal weatherproofing on the rainfly is peeling off, the ground cloth absorbs water, and the bottom of the tent feels like it would tear if I push to hard on it with my finger. Also, after a heavy rain, the tent was full of water, so I assume the rainfly isn't doing it's job at all. All the screening and upper tent fabric is still just like new though. It's honestly a tragedy. I really love this tent.

So, now I'm re-entering the world of tents after two decades, and it's... there's just too much information out there. SO my questions are as follows:

1. Is the tent a goner? I can't imagine how I could fix the integrity of the fabric itself, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

2. What are the "good" technical manufacturers these days? Has Mountain Hardware gone the way of North Face?

3 What tents should I be looking at to get similar features to what I had with this one? I'm ok with a slightly heavier backpacking tent to get the features I want. If I'm really going lightweight, I just take my Hennessy.

Here are the tent specs:

REI Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2 https://www.rei.com/product/717779/mountain-hardwear-hammerhead-2-tent

But mine is in these colors:

You can see the light green color of the rainfly in the background - it was the same color as this:

#205820 - 08/22/21 11:31 AM Re: Replacing a 2002 Mountain Hardware Tent [Re: Loquinho]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
A few thoughts:

1. Is the tent a goner? I can't imagine how I could fix the integrity of the fabric itself, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I think it is a goner. And I am not sure it is only because of the bug spray. I have an old North Face tent that has been stored properly, but it still suffers from this kind of deterioration. No idea how to fix it.

2. What are the "good" technical manufacturers these days? Has Mountain Hardware gone the way of North Face?

There are quite a few good manufacturers...but how and where do you use your tent? That would make a difference. Big Agnes, Marmot, MSR, and even REI make pretty good equipment, as do others.

3 What tents should I be looking at to get similar features to what I had with this one? I'm ok with a slightly heavier backpacking tent to get the features I want. If I'm really going lightweight, I just take my Hennessy.

Or a tarp? We use a Henry Shires Tarptent and are very happy with it...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205821 - 08/23/21 09:54 AM Re: Replacing a 2002 Mountain Hardware Tent [Re: Loquinho]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Loquinho

Yes, the tent is a goner. Some people report you can scrub all of the failed coating off and then reapply a new coating. It is an extremely tedious process and if you do a realy good job you'll end up with a tent slightly less waterproof than it was originally. I've never heard of anyone successfully completing the process. I think it is mostly for catharsis to emotionally help some people throw away a beloved tent.

And I agree with Paul above. It probably wasn't the bug spray. This has happened to all of my tents from that era. They were all stored properly and (unfortunatly) not over used frown

Originally Posted By Loquinho

You may not get a satisfying answer from this group. I think most people here prefer a lighter, less feature rich tent.

I can tell you the Tarptent Hogback is much bigger (4 person), much lighter (4 lbs), has two vestibules, and allows you to set up 1/2 mesh or full mesh for a view of the night sky. It doesn't have a window and it is not freestanding.

The Stratospire II is bigger (52" wide, 50" peak height), much lighter (under 3 lbs), has two vestibules, allows you to set up full mesh.

Actually if you have $700 burning a hole in your pocket the Stratospire Li is the same tent in ultra-light dyneema fabric. That fabric is so lightweight it will feel like the whole tent is a big window smile

If neither of those sound appealing to you, I would suggest going to REI and checking out the latest options: https://www.rei.com/c/backpacking-tents?ir=category%3Abackpacking-tents&r=c%3Bsleeping-capacity%3A3-person%7C2-person%3Bnumber-of-doors%3A2+doors

I've never known REI to sell garbage tents.

Edited by BZH (08/23/21 09:59 AM)

#205829 - 08/26/21 07:21 PM Re: Replacing a 2002 Mountain Hardware Tent [Re: Loquinho]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
The PU layer on your tent fly is perishing.
Some think that it can be slowed down or prevented by letting the fly off-gass*, in other words not sealing it inside a tight stuff sack but leaving it open when in storage. The bad news is that it isn't practical to fix, the good news is that (apparently ) the new versions of the PU coatings don't have the same problem.
Or you can buy a silnylon or DCF (Cuben Fiber) tent , those fabrics/laminates don't suffer from it.
* you know that "new smell" from a car or matress/furniture ?
It's the material off-gassing.

#205831 - 08/28/21 12:27 AM Re: Replacing a 2002 Mountain Hardware Tent [Re: Loquinho]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Have become a fan of side entry. For that in a 2-person tent, Big Agnes Copper Spur.

If you can make do with a single front entry, the BA Fly Creek is lighter.

Lots of choices, and it's sale season.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum