Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195099 - 04/26/16 12:38 AM Sodium Content......Protein.....????
WVhiker Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ok so my previous years have consisted of pretty much mountain house and Idahoan potatoes for dinner and sometimes lunch. The rest of my day is basically oatmeal (homemade), trail mix, and energy bars.

I have been looking into some other companies to buy some of my just add water meals from. I know the possibilities are endless if you make it all on your own but I am just not there yet.

The two I have been focusing on are Pack It Gourmet and soup and chili mixes from harmony house.

My big question is what is an acceptable amount of sodium, i know when on the trail your body uses more because you sweat but some of these meals can have an ENTIRE days worth of sodium!!!

I am also curious about how many grams of protein I should be consuming as well.

I have tried a few pack it gourmet meals they were great if anyone has sampled any of harmony houses mixes please let me know your thoughts (taste, preparation, ect).

#195103 - 04/26/16 02:19 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Unless you have a medical condition and your doctor is limiting your salt, I would not worry about salt in backpack food. For me it is the taste. I cannot stand over-salted food. I rather have bland food and add salt, to my taste.

In general I try to get 18-20% of my calories as protein. Since I often fish, I do not get too worried about a lot of protein in my dry food. The longer the trip the more important to get sufficient protein. I doubt low protein would cause problems for a 2-5 day trip. Protein helps you feel full longer, which is good for a long night's sleep. I try to get most of my protein at the evening meal.

#195104 - 04/26/16 03:14 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Sodium intake is definitely a problem for people with high blood pressure or have a high risk for HBP. If you are not in a high risk group, then I wouldn't worry much about salt intake over the course of a backpack. Unless you are eating it by the spoonful. shocked

#195105 - 04/26/16 05:18 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
WVhiker Offline

Ok sounds logical thank you for your input.

#195106 - 04/26/16 05:18 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
WVhiker Offline

I am still curious however if anyone has tried the Harmony House food?

#195113 - 04/26/16 08:16 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I have not tried Harmony House, though a quick perusal of there website I note they seem to be selling dehydrated items instead of freeze dried. Not a huge deal since many DIYers only backpack with dehydrated foods. However, I think Mountain House uses mostly freeze dried items meaning they reconstitute easier. Harmony house recommends simmering their items, though they mention soaking will work.

"Just Tomatoes" sells freeze dried fruits and veggies on Amazon (looks like they now might be called Karen's Natural now)

Edited by BZH (04/26/16 08:16 PM)

#195123 - 04/27/16 01:40 AM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
WVhiker Offline

I did notice they are dehydrated wich does not bother me too much since you can just let it soak. But they mentioned it should soak for an extended period of time. I think i would be a little sceptical of leaving a zip lock eat in bag with water in it inside of my pack. They do also say that you only add 2/3 of a cup and then add the rest when you are ready to cook. So maybe it would soak most of that up pretty quick. I am not sure since I'm pretty inexperienced with dehydrated foods in the backcoutry. Maybe someone else can chime in.

#195125 - 04/27/16 07:39 AM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Others have mentioned using an empty peanut butter jar for soaking. There are the screw top plastic storage jars by Rubbermaid and others. They are fairly lightweight. The pint size makes a decent small bowl. It would be nice if they made a 24 Oz. jar. The heaviest part of these things is the lid. It's possible to use these jars for small item storage, but what do you do with the small items while you are soaking something?

#195129 - 04/27/16 10:51 AM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By WVhiker
... I think i would be a little sceptical of leaving a zip lock eat in bag with water in it inside of my pack...

I am also am a bit skeptical. Probably works better if you hike to a location and set up camp for a couple nights.

Also, there is a new product on the market that came out earlier this month... on the 1st I believe:

http://gossamergear.com/the-crotch-pot.html

#195132 - 04/27/16 01:10 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
WVhiker Offline

Well the crotch pot looks pretty interesting. But i don't think I'm ready to carry my meal around in my pants to warm it up so i can shave the weight of my stove, but still i can see how others might find that useful.

Im putting my order in sometime this week im gonna get some packit gourmet and a few things from harmony house. Our first trip is going to be May 10-13 after we return i will do a review of the harmony house meals. I will try a simmer only and i bet i could find a way to securely hang that back from my pack so if it leaks at least it is on the outside.

#195133 - 04/27/16 01:44 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I find Good To-Go meals pretty tasty, but they take a long time to reconstitute (20 minutes). You can find them at REI.

#204289 - 04/20/20 07:29 AM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
haan9953 Offline

as per the American Heart Association, it recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day and moving toward an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

#205718 - 07/16/21 06:14 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: WVhiker]
nwguy Offline

I bring salt, cant have too much. there have been no actual studies to prove salt is bad.
blaming salt for a heart condition is like blaming firemen for a fire, because you always see them near a burning house.

#205733 - 07/19/21 03:28 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: nwguy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
All I know is that more than a minimal amount of salt sends my blood pressure soaring and turns my calves, ankles and feet into balloons! This was true even when I was in my 20s, which was a horrendously long time ago, but of course it's worse now.

#205770 - 08/02/21 12:46 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: nwguy]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By nwguy
I bring salt, cant have too much. there have been no actual studies to prove salt is bad.
blaming salt for a heart condition is like blaming firemen for a fire, because you always see them near a burning house.

Are you a doctor? Because this is horrible advice:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4953267/

#205776 - 08/04/21 03:47 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: BZH]
nwguy Offline

Dont worry about it.
it's not like our ancient ancestors ate salted meat everyday .. oh wait

#205777 - 08/04/21 04:17 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: nwguy]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Yep, every day - right up until they died around age 40 - 50. (1860 life expectancy for a US male was just over 40 years.)

#205778 - 08/04/21 09:15 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: Glenn Roberts]

The low life expectancy in 1860 was primarily because so many children died of childhood diseases that can be prevented now. Who today knows anyone who died of diptheria or whooping cough? I remember when the polio vaccine came out; the line to get the shots extended all across the university campus! (We had just gone through an outbreak that killed several popular students and left others paralyzed.)

People who survived childhood and major accidents (and, for women, childbirth) tended to live as long as they do now.

Of the approximately 750,000 who died in the Civil War, it is estimated that half died of disease. That was still the dark ages of medical and public health knowledge, which began to advance only later in the 19th century.

#205780 - 08/05/21 06:05 AM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: OregonMouse]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
That was still the dark ages of medical and public health knowledge, which began to advance only later in the 19th century.

And seems to be retreating again in the twenty first century.

#205781 - 08/05/21 08:55 AM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: OregonMouse]

Hi, Mouse:

Wasn't one of the medical advances the discovery that too much sodium intake is bad for you? (Sorry, couldn't resist; you're right - medical advances were a big part of the increase. smile )

#205782 - 08/05/21 06:59 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: Glenn Roberts]

Yes, but more important was the discovery that it was not a good idea to dig privy trenches right next to the drinking water source, or to drink water downstream from the camp!

#205783 - 08/05/21 08:31 PM Re: Sodium Content......Protein.....???? [Re: OregonMouse]

Have you ever seen "The Horse Soldiers" with John Wayne and William Holden? There's a great scene where John Wayne hears an argument between the regimental surgeon and another officer, and asks what's going on. Holden replies "I'm just trying to remind him that the coffee tastes better if we water the horses downstream from the camp."

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum