Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205616 - 06/27/21 04:23 PM Backpacking Food in Norway (Resupplying)
gadgetsz Offline

Hi everybody and a very good evening!

We are planing our first hiking trip that'll be more then 5 days. We, that's my girlfriend and me, plan on going to Norway for about 4 weeks. We'll go by train and mostly by foot, camping in the wilderness of the Lofoten islands and above. We almost got all our stuff together, but now we're a bit stuck on the hole food thingy. Firstly, we should confess, we're both living vegan, which makes it difficult from time to time. Now the questions:

We are wondering if we should prepare and order our food in advance and let it ship to specific points of our travel. If that's the way to got, the question is how are you doing stuff like that? Do you just randomly ask private people to receive parcels? Or can you actually let it being sent to gas stations / pick up stations / packet stations? How can we find something like that? We were already checking the internet, but didn't find anything...

Now, the other possibility would be, that we just take what we'll find on our travel. But this could actually lead us into trouble according the travel-budget, as Norway is a darm expensive country, I guess. I assume the local prices for high-energy bars and dried cooking-meals would be very high - how can one actually check that in advance? Calling local stores? Now, assuming we wouldn't find that lightweight, high-nutritious dried foodstuff, what's the alternative? Couscous? It doesn't provide a very healthy nutrition, and we would need quite a lot, I think. Do you have any tips on that? As our main cooking object, we'll have our trangia stove with the multi-fuel burner.

We also hope we'll find good enough fuel on our way. Maybe you guys also got some suggestions where to find fuel to resupply.

You see, we are very new to long hikes in remote countries, but we would be very happy to find help! Lots of experienced travelers and backpackers in this forum as of what we saw that far. So THANK YOU in advance for taking time!

#205617 - 06/27/21 06:57 PM Re: Backpacking Food in Norway (Resupplying) [Re: gadgetsz]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Good luck with the food issue. It sounds like a really cool adventure.

For fuel on a 4 week excursion you might consider a collapsible wood burning stove like the Emberlit Ti. The fuel is free and picked up along the way. However I really like the Trangia stoves too and find them very versatile.

I love going into the unknown like that. Who knows what will be available and when or how much. Perhaps a bit of foraging for nutritious greens might be possible. I keep a few kindle reference books for specific areas on my phone.

If you do a write up of this trip post it up here. That will be very interesting.

#205620 - 06/28/21 10:35 AM Re: Backpacking Food in Norway (Resupplying) [Re: gadgetsz]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I don't know much about Norway, but my gut feeling is that it's not a good idea to rely on locally available food unless you've been before and know what to expect, especially with you being on a vegan diet. I would also hesitate to ship your food to pick-up locations unless you've spoken to the businesses ahead of time and received assurances that they're okay with it and it will be available when you need it. If you get to a place just after they close, you might not want to wait around until they open the next day. One way to go about it would be to dehydrate and package your own meals before the trip. This would allow you to eat the way you normally do, but I've heard horror stories about customs seizing organic matter at border crossings. Again, I don't know the situation in Norway. Sorry, I probably haven't answered any of your questions, but maybe sharing my thoughts will give you a few things to think about.

#205621 - 06/28/21 02:56 PM Re: Backpacking Food in Norway (Resupplying) [Re: gadgetsz]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
If you haven't already done so, search "backpacking in Norway" on YouTube. There are a number of videos on the subject.

Also, of course, search Google.

#205623 - 06/29/21 09:41 AM Re: Backpacking Food in Norway (Resupplying) [Re: gadgetsz]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
In the United States you can send a package to a post office with what is called "general delivery". They will hold the package for you at the post office for some amount of time. People on long hikes will use this for resupply. You ship a package to your first resupply location. When you get there and resupply, you ship the package along to your next resupply post office.

The Alternative is having someone at home shipping a box to each next resupply as you hike along. I don't think the post office will hold your package for months at a time where you could ship them all out at once. Also, I don't know if this "general delivery" option is available in Norway.

My buddy biked the coast of Norway a couple years ago. He resupplied along the way as he went. He isn't vegan so I don't know how helpful that info is to you. I do know that more northern countries, with shorter growing seasons, tend to have a bit more meat focused cusine. Salt cod and goat cheese is very popular along the coast of Norway, so finding vegan food may be difficult.

#205632 - 06/30/21 10:01 AM Re: Backpacking Food in Norway (Resupplying) [Re: gadgetsz]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
Just to add, we have been on a Keto diet for 8 or 9 years now and know the challenges when traveling. We usually keep a good food supply and do almost all of our own food prep. You do face a challenge with your vegan diet. Hope it works out for you.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum