Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205597 - 06/23/21 12:28 AM Capping in a bag
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
As some areas are altogether more particular about the effect one may have on the environment, how does one go about leaving no trace. I know some pack it in pack it out, what does it entail?

#205604 - 06/23/21 11:58 AM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Petro1234]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I haven't camped in an area that requires packing it out. I've been in areas that have discussed it. In those areas they have a hard enough time getting people to follow the current regulations. I felt like the new regulations would just impact the people who are already doing their part and would have no effect on the people who are causing the damage they are trying to stop.

If an area is so impacted by human activity to truly require packing it out I'd rather not spend much time there. It is either too fragile or more likely too crowded.

#205607 - 06/23/21 10:43 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By BZH

If an area is so impacted by human activity to truly require packing it out I'd rather not spend much time there. It is either too fragile or more likely too crowded.

Bingo.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#205608 - 06/24/21 01:50 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Petro1234]
Arizona Offline

Loc: The Southwestern Deserts
To sort of answer your question, we have some interesting desert locations that we visit in the back country where the lack of rain prohibits the breakdown of materials. We have never seen another person in these locations from the difficulty getting through the landscape and the absolute lack of water sources but we always pack out paper products like TP and wet wipes. Animals will dig them up and spread them. Place in a ziplock freezer bag and keep in a pocket on the outside of the pack. Throw in first trash can you encounter after coming back into civilization. There are places that require wag bags but we don’t go where other people go so I’m not much help for that.

#205625 - 06/29/21 05:24 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Petro1234]
Petro1234 Offline

Yes yes, yea of the americas with ample elbow room. Unfortunately in Europe there is mainly 2 areas, one where there are people and one where there are pointy mountains. The pointy mountains are a problem because re supplying food is a hike in itself, you cannot carry food uphill very well, by the time you get uphill it's time to come down again. The other areas it is hard to be more than a mile from a dwelling. There are areas that are more remote but they see a lot of visitors so there is control of camping to lessen the impact.

I do not know whether it is like this in the states, but here in the UK footpath erosion in some areas is a major problem due to the amount of visitors. The US has roughly the same area protected as national parks as the entire land area of the uk.

#205637 - 07/01/21 10:46 AM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Petro1234]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
The US is a diverse place. We have wide open spaces and places where we like to jam as many people together as we can. The popular national parks have some spectacular sites, but don't expect quiet serenty without a lot of effort. Yosemite Valley and Yellowstone are overcrowded beyond reason.

#205638 - 07/01/21 02:45 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: BZH]
Arizona Offline

We don’t care for crowds so there was a time we avoided National Parks. But we started thinking differently and found that we could find complete solitude in the most popular Parks. It does take a bit of effort but not near as much as we originally thought. It was then we began to make some stunning discoveries. Off trail if allowed is the way to proceed into another dimension. Our favorite National Park allows off trail travel throughout but everyone save very, very few stick right on the trails.

Europeans are crazy about the southwest and really have a love of exploration here. Another valuable feature of the iPhone is the translator app where you can have them speak into the mic and the app speaks the translation back and forth. I’ve met Germans more than once in some of the most out of the way places. Those folks are extremely adventurous.

#205642 - 07/03/21 01:28 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Petro1234]
Petro1234 Offline

Thanks BHZ, thanks Arizona, that has done a lot to make me feel better, #green with envy.

#205653 - 07/07/21 01:58 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Petro1234]
Arizona Offline

Petro1234, I’ve spoken to folks from England over the decades and have learned of the difficulties of accessing lands for recreation. That is a foreign concept in my corner of the North American continent. Three tents of a mile (a bit less than half a kilometer) as the raven flies from my front door is a portal to 400 square miles of wilderness starting with surreal desert at 2700’ (823 meters), a labyrinth of trails leading to mountain peaks over 9000’ (more than 2700 meters) through countless canyons.

That is my playground. It is so vast that I carry 7 maps from ultra detailed to a couple that completely cover the entire area at a less detailed scale. We walk into it from home, no driving necessary. There are lions, bighorn sheep and bears…oh my. Lots of other wildlife and flora from saguaros to ponderosa pine. Some of it is National Park but easy to be alone. We usually go into the National Forest wilderness which is much closer and in my opinion better. The entire West and in my opinion especially the Southwest is thee gem of the outdoors. Even though it is amazingly vast we treat it with a lot of respect on all levels.

It’s a different perspective than many Europeans normally experience but we welcome vacationers and travelers.

Edited by Arizona (07/07/21 02:47 PM)

#205732 - 07/19/21 03:22 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: Arizona]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I couldn't figure out what this thread was about for quite a while, but I didn't take the time to peruse it closely.

Now I perceive that the original topic's first word is missing an "r"!

#205737 - 07/19/21 04:18 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: OregonMouse]
Arizona Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I couldn't figure out what this thread was about for quite a while, but I didn't take the time to peruse it closely.

Now I perceive that the original topic's first word is missing an "r"!

Ha, ha…nice way to sort of soften a delicate subject though. grin

#205741 - 07/20/21 12:13 PM Re: Capping in a bag [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Oh my goodness! This makes so much more sense now. I thought it must be a British thing. XD

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum