Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205486 - 04/17/21 09:25 PM levitating tent
arfa Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I am finalising the design of my latest tent. It will be a prototype which, if all goes well, I will rework using dyneema.

So, I have a theory about raising (levitating smile the tent. The design (and calculations) are based on all wall edges coming to the ground - not allowing for catenary curves. My theory is... if I design for, say 900mm poles (at the head end), then put in 950 poles there will be a 50mm air circulation gap all around. A single wall design needs air movement so I could even go to 1000mm - with 100mm gap.
A rough sketch...

The logic seems sound but I wonder if you all have any comments on this?

Theory plan two: I am keeping wall to floor tub distances to a minimum so will have an extra grommet (on a strap) so that I can alter the angle of the pole to drop it back down to zero(ish) ground clearance when there is wind and wet.
>> a kind of lowrider hydraulic jackup system

I would appreciate any comments on the theory. thx

#205490 - 04/19/21 09:21 AM Re: levitating tent [Re: arfa]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Tarptents maintain clearance at the bottom tent like that and then use a bath tub floor to prevent water splash back. I agree with you (and I think the industry does too) air flow is critical in a single-wall tent design (I think it is pretty critical in a double wall tent design too).

#205496 - 04/20/21 02:55 PM Re: levitating tent [Re: arfa]
arfa Offline

My primary concern is getting the pole apex at the right height. I am not sure how much allowances to make for venting and silnylon sag. Catenary curves is another variable I am not sure how much to allow for.

Earlier tents have been modeled with cardboard and tape or string and sticks - pretty crude affairs. Now I have the precision of Sketchup and can tweak down to a millimeter. Perhaps a blessing - and a curse??

#205499 - 04/22/21 10:17 AM Re: levitating tent [Re: arfa]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
The 50mmm gap at the bottom of your tent roughly matches the gap at the bottom-back of the 'mid I use. The tie-outs default to about 3", so basically 50mm. I never get condensation.

The 950mm pole height is pretty low. However, the wonderful thing about levitating your tent is that adjustable guylines and poles can change the height instantly for different weather conditions.

It may be a good idea to build a prototype out of tape and cardboard to see if you can move around enough and find out how it will make you feel. I found out the hard way that I don't like a fully enclosed bivy as my only shelter.

Edited by DustinV (04/22/21 10:18 AM)

#205500 - 04/22/21 09:01 PM Re: levitating tent [Re: DustinV]
arfa Offline

Thanks Dustin. Good to know 50mm works OK. I was thinking of an upper vent triangle on the high end wall - but figure I could cut this in later if necessary.

Height: - yes, 950 is low. It was an arbitrary number. I am thinking more toward 1150 or 1200mm. I like to be able to sit fully upright. This is pretty high so I don't want to have to jack it up any higher to compensate for sag or cat curves.

#205502 - 04/23/21 09:46 AM Re: levitating tent [Re: arfa]
DustinV Offline

Coincidentally, my default tarp height is 1150. Headroom is adequate for me (5'10") near the pole.

I have to say I envy you having the time and tools to design your own shelter. It would be fun to play with the dimensions and shapes to create something custom.

#205515 - 04/27/21 02:57 PM Re: levitating tent [Re: DustinV]
arfa Offline

time????? I try to spend more time using the gear smile if I can - otherwise - I make stuff for my hobby. I will probably make this over the winter (southern hemisphere). Yes, 1150 felt good in my stick and string mock up - that fell apart as I got out of it.!

#205531 - 05/03/21 02:56 PM Re: levitating tent [Re: arfa]
DustinV Offline

I should have said, 'time and opportunity.'
I did a MYOG project to adapt some cheap ski poles into trekking poles. The total time of the work was probably 15 minutes, but it took me 3 weeks to get the chance to do the work.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum