Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203182 - 07/14/19 09:05 PM To chair or not to chair
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Here in the east, it's often hard to avoid camping near others. You're not in their laps, mind you, but you will be close enough to observe how they do things.

I'm seeing more and more chairs (like the Helinox and Alite chairs, with frames and nylon sling-seats.) I still occasionally take my Thermarest Trekker chair, and find myself surprised at the amount of comfort half a pound buys - and wondering why I don't bring it more often.

Anyone else re-thinking their chair decisions?

#203186 - 07/14/19 09:43 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I'm too old not to have a chair. I have a Helinox Chair Zero when I want to travel light or an aluminum camp stool that's a bit heavier.

#203192 - 07/15/19 05:03 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
No chair for me, although I have a friend who carries one and seems to think it worthwhile. I carry a closed-cell foam sit pad, which I also put under my feet at night. On those occasions when I've used a CCF pad for sleeping, I've found it makes a good chair when combined with a handy rock.

I've been looking at the Nemo switchback CCF pad (for sleeping). It's similar to the z-rest pad, but thicker with about the same bulk when packed. I imagine it would make a good chair, too.

#203196 - 07/15/19 06:08 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Butt on the ground and back against a tree. I can always find something to lean against.

#203199 - 07/15/19 09:45 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: GrumpyGord]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
My approach as well. However, I do avoid leaning against our local cactuses.

#203200 - 07/15/19 09:56 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Pika]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By Pika
My approach as well. However, I do avoid leaning against our local cactuses.

A real man would not worry about such minor matters. lol

I do avoid sitting on our local Prickly Pear however. That is the closest thing to local cactus.

Edited by GrumpyGord (07/15/19 12:39 PM)

#203210 - 07/15/19 04:10 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A few other things to avoid sitting on or against:

In cattle country, what are euphemistically known as "cow pies."

Trees with lots of fresh pitch in their lower extremities. It is possible to remove it from clothing (saturate with cooking oil first and then use hot water and lots of strong detergent), but it's a lot of work!

In semi-desert country, ant hills at the base of the tree. The little critters resent having their passage blocked, and their bites are painful.

Look carefully before sitting!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/15/19 04:11 PM)

#203213 - 07/15/19 05:56 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
East of the Mississippi, I'd add poison ivy and ant hills (especially the red variety.)

#203219 - 07/15/19 09:11 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Not really rethinking, staying with what works for me. If I'm planning on spending any amount of time at camp, I bring a chair (Helinox Ground). Well worth the weight. If I'm probably hiking all day and spending little time at camp, I don't bother bringing a chair.

#203261 - 07/18/19 09:02 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: JustWalking]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We take little closed cell foam pads for seats. Part of finding the perfect campsite is to make sure it has a few flat rocks to sit on...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203277 - 07/19/19 04:37 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Keep one in the trunk that I use at my kid's soccer games but do not tote on backpacks.

When I used a self-inflating T-rest I had a fabric chair conversion thing that was the cat's PJs--so nice to have after a long day.

#203298 - 07/28/19 05:55 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You already are carrying half a chair- your backpack! Since I have a bony back, I line the part of the pack that hits my back with a blue foam pad. Slide the pad down for a seat, set the pack against a rock, and there you have a chair!

Never lean against trees - too many have pitch, often hidden. I prefer rocks. In a pinch I can use my trekking poles as support for the pack.

#203339 - 08/14/19 03:31 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: wandering_daisy]
krishnasai Offline

There's nothing quite like plonking a chair outside your tent, grabbing a *insert drink of choice* and watching the world go by, or sitting around a campfire with a group of friends, toasting some marshmallows. So unless you plan on sitting on the floor, camping chairs are absolutely essential.

#203342 - 08/16/19 08:51 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: krishnasai]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Set up camp 11 miles from the trailhead with what you can carry on your back and you might revise your priorities ..

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#203343 - 08/17/19 12:57 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: balzaccom]

And if you're out here in the West during wildfire season (generally coincides with the backpacking season), you probably won't be building a camp fire, either, unless you're in an established campground with metal fireplaces. Maybe not even then, if it's dry enough!

#203344 - 08/17/19 03:03 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: krishnasai]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
There are plenty of folks who have no issue with 'sitting on the floor', of course. But I do like having a chair. Just got back from a trip in the Sierra, went over Sawmill Pass and wandered a bit. Had my Helinox Ground Chair with me, and was happy to have it. It's the only thing I can sit in/on for any length of time due to pain in my lower back, so while not 'absolutely essential', it does help me enjoy backpacking more.

#203635 - 11/08/19 09:59 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
carlj Offline

I always bring a chair when I go camping. My latest purchase is the 7 lbs. ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair.

Edited by aimless (11/08/19 05:42 PM)
Edit Reason: removed plug for retailer

#203637 - 11/08/19 10:21 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: carlj]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
It is your trip but 7 pounds for a chair seems pretty heavy to me. Your chair weighs about two thirds of what my entire base-weight pack does. Mostly I just lean against a tree 🌲😀.

#203638 - 11/08/19 05:05 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: carlj]

I agree with Pika; in my case your 7 lb. chair would add 58% to my pack's base weight (everything but food, water, fuel) and exceeds the combined weight of my sleeping bag, pad, and tent.

While getting up and down from/to the ground is getting more and more difficult as I approach my 84th birthday, adding 7 lbs. to my pack weight would make even a short trip impossible.

#203749 - 11/23/19 07:30 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: OregonMouse]
JerrySC13 Offline

Loc: Chapin, SC
I was carrying a foldable campstool for a bit, but like others, gave it up due to weight considerations. Also, the campstool caused me to bend over often, causing additional back pain beyond the long hike.

I met with a father & son on a trip when I was out SOLO and they each had a lightweight REI foldable chair which allowed them to lean back and relax. I hid my jealously, but I was JEALOUS.

The lightweight foldable chairs I've found are a bit expensive. I've never owned any REI gear, and I assume those were probably pricey. But I think I might decide to save up and pull the trigger early in 2020.

Please check out my website and blog: https://www.mountainblazers.com/

#204595 - 07/04/20 12:51 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: JerrySC13]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
a few years ago I bought an "Helix Ground" chair. at about 1lb, I considered it, the absolute max, I'd carry for such an luxury. it has been a mixed bag. ..on one hand it's so very nice to sit in the evening, watching the sun set while soaking in the last of it's warming rays. but there's a down side, I fall asleep and wake up in a good of deal of neck pain.....either my head slumps forward until my chin is resting almost on my chest...or falls back way too far. either direction- there's pain. I just started to address this. It's currently sitting on my office floor while I work out an "extention" off of the chair's frame to support my head ( thinking this should come in at 1-2 oz, using the same hiking poles that I already carry.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (07/04/20 01:06 PM)

#204602 - 07/06/20 06:31 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Gary_N9ZYE Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
I have used just the ground or a closed cell foam pad. But, today I received the "Better Than a Rock" 12.6 oz stool. I plan to use it for backpacking as well as BP fishing adventures.

Update: I am returning this chair. It is well made but my arthritic body does land well when sitting down. I bought the 14" high version. Hindsight being 20/20, I might have been better with the 17" high version.

Edited by Gary_N9ZYE (07/07/20 01:00 PM)

#204612 - 07/10/20 10:22 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Gary_N9ZYE]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I agree that backpacking chairs are difficult to get in and out of. I like sitting in my Alite butterfly chair but it is real difficult to get in to and out of.

#204825 - 09/22/20 05:46 AM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: BZH]
Gary_N9ZYE Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
I recently purchased the Helinox Chair Zero. I can get up from this one without much trouble. I used it last week on an overnight trip. The height was right for me to cook with. Being able to lean back was so nice.

#205410 - 03/26/21 03:45 PM Re: To chair or not to chair [Re: Gary_N9ZYE]
arfa Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I see a few 'age related' posts and can totally identify with that. I have posted in MYOG inquiring about making inflatable - cushions, pillows - and chairs? Here in NZ there are usually some natural features that offer a seat or back support - but... the bony bits do ask for something in between.

Does anyone have any recommends on inflatable cushions or pillows?

As for carrying an actual chair - old knees insist everything is under 10kg - so... no chair.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum