Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153678 - 08/13/11 06:50 PM Drying a dunked camera out?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
On my recent 8 day bp trip thru the southern Sierra Nevada, my camera (Canon SX10) and myself took a dip in the Kern River. Twice in a few minutes time. It still has issues, powers partially up is all. Does it need to go to a shop for a cleaning and drying out now? I saw condensation in the lense later in the day and for a day or two later also. I took the batteries out of course and installed them a few times to check progress. Thanks.

Duane

#153682 - 08/13/11 09:58 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Yes, you do need to take it to a repair shop to be looked at and I wouldn't even try to turn it on until it was completely dried out.

Having said that, with all the electronics in cameras nowadays, it is generally more cost effective to forgo the repair and buy a newer camera (or if you really like that one, perhaps check out http://www.keh.com for a used one). After all, that model is close to three years old now (which can be dramatic in camera time).

#153683 - 08/13/11 10:10 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: ndsol]
hikerduane Offline

I'm not too camera savy, so was thinking of even getting a smaller, lighter one that was more a p & s. May have to go the disposable route again.

#153693 - 08/14/11 12:33 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
AaronMB Offline

If you haven't taken any action yet and don't know if you're going to send it off - try bagging the camera with rice and sealing it up. The rice will absorb some of the remaining moisture; meanwhile, although it's probably too late since you've already done it, I wouldn't power it up again for a while, until after letting it sit with the rice a few days.

#153695 - 08/14/11 01:32 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Duane,

Serious bummer, I believe we've been treated to photos from that very camera.

I'd leave it out in the sun (not in triple-digit heat, but any warm California day will do). I'd do this both powered up with the lens extended and powered down with the battery and card out. Come to think of it, take the card out right away if you've not already.

Because it's fresh water you have a ghost of a chance bringing it back to life. But if it doesn't spontaneously come back to life, budget for a new one. Repair will cost more than it's worth. Modern consumer electronics.

To toss you a bone of hope, last weekend I washed our garage opener remote in my pants pocket. Tried it and it didn't work. Opened it up, removed the battery, peeled off the keypad and cleaned up all the corrosion the detergent had caused. Voila, it works! Forty bucks saved.

But that remote is one one-thousandth as complex as a digicam.

Much luck,

#153700 - 08/14/11 03:14 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

I let the camera sit in the sun a few days of my trip. I plan on taking it to the shop where purchased and see what they say this coming week. It's stuck on record mode last time I checked it. Bummer, I bought it a few years ago for the Alaska trip that year, had only ever had $30 Kodak cameras or disposable ones up to then.
Duane

#154087 - 08/28/11 08:37 AM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Daughters cell phone went thru washing machine. She covered it in a big bowl of dry white rice and it pulled the moisture out. She used it another 6 monthes. She said she left it in the rice for two days. Might be worth a try?

#154091 - 08/28/11 04:29 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: Kent W]
hikerduane Offline

I took it back to where I bought it, they sent it in, waiting to hear back if it is fixable, how much or target practice.

Duane

#154340 - 09/06/11 10:58 AM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

Not fixable. Bummer, back to disposable cameras.
Duane

#154347 - 09/06/11 01:17 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Sorry to hear. Hate to say it, but all digicams are "disposable." They're like cellphones and DVD players--use and toss.

Now lenses, those are "investments." eek

Cheers,

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Not fixable. Bummer, back to disposable cameras.
Duane

#155601 - 10/10/11 01:08 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Well, before I put a bullet in the camera, I gave it a "shot".:) I can take pics and it seems to work, but the video light, a blue color stays on all the time. I'll give it a go next trip. I only took a photo inside and tried the flash, that works too. May just be some inconvenience is all. Not sure if this will be a drain on the battery or not.
Duane

#205427 - 03/29/21 07:59 AM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: hikerduane]
Flipperfla Offline

Loc: Fl
Originally Posted By hikerduane
On my recent 8 day bp trip thru the southern Sierra Nevada, my camera (Canon SX10) and myself took a dip in the Kern River. Twice in a few minutes time. It still has issues, powers partially up is all. Does it need to go to a shop for a cleaning and drying out now? I saw condensation in the lense later in the day and for a day or two later also. I took the batteries out of course and installed them a few times to check progress. Thanks.

Duane

I am a retired Camcoder/ Camera Tech. I could write a book on some of the cameras I have seen come into my shop thru the years. Dropped in swimming pools, off 2 story balconies, cliffs, creeks, rivers, oceans, $3K Sony camcorder stored in a cooler until the ice melted. I have had cameras come in where their lenses look like they are 1/2 full of chocolate milk. When you see the crash and burns on Funniest Home Videos I’m the guy who repaired the cameras.
First time is the MAJOR FACTOR, especially in corrosive water like saltwater or pool water (chlorine).
1 Power the unit down and take the batteries out. Do not keep trying to turn it on and off. You are possibly causing more damage.
2 If it is nasty water rinse camera with fresh water. Allow to dry in the sun if possible or put it in a ziplock baggie with rice.
3 Get it to a repair center as soon as possible. When I would get a call from a panicked customer. I would tell them I need the camera as soon as possible, not tomorrow......today. The quicker I got the camera the better chance I have to save it. First step with a saltwater submerged camera I would get a 5 gal bucket of water and dunk the camera until all debris was cleared. Next disassemble entire camera, mechanics, boards and lens assemblies. Dry everything very carefully with a low power heat gun, dust all the boards and connectors with Deoxit 5, relube chassis and all mechanics. Clean a reassemble lens (dust free) and iris assy then realign.
Saved around 8 out of 10. The cost for your misadventure $500-1000.

#205435 - 03/29/21 08:54 PM Re: Drying a dunked camera out? [Re: Flipperfla]
arfa Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I have swum with a few cameras.
I have tried silica gel and rice - with little noticeable result.

1 - don't power any thing up.
2 - don't power any thing up!
3 - remove everything; cards, batteries, etc
4 - as per 'flipperfla' - if dirty or salty water - rinse well.

5 - I hung my drowning babies over a wood stove (as in steel box - NOT an open fire) with a medium to warm heat. Lens down with all 'doors' open. Left them for several hours. Unless there is electronic damage it should work. should? smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum