Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205403 - 03/24/21 11:42 PM tent pegs
arfa Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I have been using alum. alloy pegs - at about 12gm each - and usually carry 8. Thats near enough 100gm. Titanium? I would be interested in any general comments. My main question is: why do they all seem to have a 'shepherds hook' head? As opposed to just a simple, angled v-shaped bend? I imagine there would be quite a bit of spring with the curved top. I am not averse to using a rock with some ground conditions and wonder how the curved top would take that?
This is what I regularly find:

I can appreciate the cost-weight involved with t. but would like to hear any opinions on titanium - v's other - and particularly the head shape of the titanium pegs.

Edited by arfa (03/24/21 11:42 PM)

#205407 - 03/26/21 01:20 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: arfa]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I belive that when sheeperds hook are used, the line pullig force auto- orients the stake so that it's in it's strongest position and at the same time, the pulloutline is less prone to slip off the stake. as for titanum, they are pricy for an object that for most of us, has a high loss rate.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (03/26/21 01:34 PM)

#205408 - 03/26/21 03:29 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
arfa Offline

Interesting thought - self-aligning stakes. It suggests that the peg is swiveling... ie. becoming more loose.

My question was mainly about putting the pegs into the ground - and how the hook profile would cope with a (possible) rock as hammer? How prone would it be to buckling?

Has anyone used these?

Tnanks - arfa

#205413 - 03/26/21 04:42 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: arfa]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I think we've all used shepherd's hook stakes at some time in our lives.

Do they work? Depends on the soil type: sand, no; forest soil where there won't be a lot of wind tugging at the tent, so-so; any wind, they pull loose pretty easily - and since wind is often accompanied by rain, re-staking your tent can be a pretty miserable experience. (Oh, and mud - not very well.)

I quit carrying shepherd's hooks as soon as stakes with a Y cross-section became available. For the soils I camp on (Ohio Valley forests), they hold great and are hard for the wind to wiggle loose. I haven't found enough difference between titanium, steel, and aluminum in use to matter; there is a small weight advantage to titanium and aluminum, but it's offset by higher cost. Right now, I'm using aluminum Y-stakes because that's what came with the tent and they haven't let me down yet.

As far as how a shepherd's hook holds hold up to a rock used as a hammer: depends on the size of the rock and the enthusiasm of the user.

Speaking of rock, if you hit a rock or a root while trying to place a shepherd's hook using any pressure (for example, pushing with the sole of your boot), they'll do a great job bending and a lousy job of straightening back out.

I suppose I've wasted money on worse things than shepherd's hooks...

#205414 - 03/26/21 09:09 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: arfa]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I'm with Glenn. I quit carrying shepherd hook stakes quite some time ago -- I generally either use DAC v-stakes or Easton round stakes. I usually found that shepherd hook stakes were really only useful in packed (but not too hard) ground.

And yes, I've bent a few trying to get them into harder ground.

#205417 - 03/26/21 09:44 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: JustWalking]
arfa Offline

Great to have some 'hook user' comments - and to confirm what I had suspected... the bent bit is inclined to bending.
The lighter weight is tempting but there is a significant price difference.

And... sometimes - strong winds and tough ground - the rock can be big and the enthusiasm high smile

thanks

#205423 - 03/28/21 02:02 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: arfa]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Shepherd's hook stakes are my preference for finding small gaps in very rocky ground. I never, ever pound them in but rather, will find a rock or piece of wood to protect my hand when pushing them (when needed). Ti are better than Al because for the same strength they are smaller diameter and easier to finagle into little gaps. They're much stronger and flex more than most Al alloys.

As noted they're poor for loose, sandy, soggy soils and can require improvised added anchors to hold.

I have enough pegs at this point that I can mix-and-match for the shelter and destination. If I haven't been before, this requires some guesswork and maybe taking a mix of styles.

Regardless of the style, I add bits of bright string to my pegs to make them harder to lose. Bare metal disappears VERY easily.

Cheers,

#205424 - 03/28/21 05:01 PM Re: tent pegs [Re: Rick_D]
arfa Offline

I tend to be more on earth than rock but can see how the 'pin' style of the ti stakes would be better in rock. Usually with sand or loose soil environments there are sticks or debris that can be buried with a guy line attached. I am 80% hard(ish) ground.

Totally with you on the (reflective) line tied to the stake head.

#205428 - 03/29/21 10:26 AM Re: tent pegs [Re: arfa]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I prefer a combination of Ti Shephard hook stakes and MSR groundhog style stakes. Ti stakes go in to just about any ground but hold terribly in many soil types. The groundhogs are the opposite (tough to put in many soil types but hold great).

I rarely pound stakes into the ground, but the Ti stakes are clearly able to handle that type of beating better than most any other stake. Ti stakes are much stiffer than Al or steel stakes. I usually first try to drive in the stake with my hand. If I can't get it all the way in, I stand up and put the ball of my foot on the stake with my heal on the ground and slowly drive the stake into the ground using more body weight as necessary. Many people mangle stakes using my method (and I've mangled a few), but I've had good luck if I go slowly and control the force I apply to the axis of the stake. YMMV.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum